Like Tree15Likes

Moving from US to HKG

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I think enough people have put your mind at rest on the utensils front. There are a whole host of department stores beyond IKEA too. You could probably get everything you need and more by one trip to Megabox (including IKEA)

The only thing I shipped over was a coffee maker but that was more sentimental than anything and it still gets used now.

Plenty of ‘Western’ sized kitchens in properties if you’re prepared to look around and that’s important to you.

Good point on agents. There’s a real mix out there but that’s the nature of the beast.

The way I operated when I was first looking was to give them my requirements with a clear warning that if they didn’t follow these I would stop using them. Whittled down from 7-3 agents in the space of a week ha ha.

Keep in mind most newer places have fancy induction stove tops and they won't work with certain pots and pans.

CHEESE! Cured meats. Pricey and limited selection.

Sauces, like tomato, pesto, etc all more here.

Any chewing gum you might like.

Fresca or any drinks you really enjoy, soda and sugarless drinks are limited in choice or pricey imports.

As there's no duty on wine/beer bring lots if you enjoy. Wine is overpriced especially when compared with US, craft beer same deal:

https://www.customs.gov.hk/en/trade_...pes/index.html

Fitted sheets for your bed, and your bed if it's nice, you can't always walk into IKEA and walk out with a new QS+ bed set, it sometimes takes days or evens weeks. Same deal with sofas, but there is a lot of stuff on the 2nd hand market as people are always leaving.

BBQs and BBQ utensils/accessories are also much more expensive.

Of course how much you can bring really depends on the volume limits on your shipping.

As #Cornmeal said 'Keep in mind most newer places have fancy induction stove tops and they won't work with certain pots and pans.'

I moved from an apt with a gas stove to one with induction. I needed a new pan and bought a special 'induction' use pan for around US $40 at a kitchen supply place (King Tak Porcelain) and this really made a difference. Much much better.

I can't get my favorite cold medicine: Nyquil, here, so I pick that up when I'm home.

Welcome to HK--it's a wonderful place!

I would bring some normal meds that you usually take for a cold (like advil and tylenol). I would also buy more Vitamin Supplements if you take these as they can be quite pricey here. But I really wouldn't bring too much over as you can basically buy most things in HK. And if you can't, Amazon is always an option and most things can be imported without any taxes.

Whilst you might not want to share this info, we could advise you much more accurately if you gave us an idea of the size of the place you live in currently (sqft), your budget in HK and where you might be looking to live.

I.e. if you're prepared to live 'out in the sticks' (by HK standards) you may well be able to get a village house of 1000+ sqft, but maybe the US$10,000-US$20,000 per month you'd have to spend on rent to have a place with a 'good size kitchen' (by US homes standards) on HK island is less likely.

If you're moving from Manhattan and live in a 800sqft place now, then the adjustment won't be that significant.

On the upside as I'm sure you already know, rents in HK have dropped significantly this year - it's very much a buyers market now. - Drive a hard bargain!

And remember you don't need 'an agent' when flat hunting in HK - Once out of Quarantine, you can visit the area you might want to live and visit the estate agents shops within a few hundred ft radius and see what they have on their books.

As mentioned earlier, tell them you'll only rent through agents who show you very good quality apartments.

Good luck.

On the Western cookware comment, there are a few brands that I used in the States that don't seem to be super popular. A few that comes to mind are OXO tools which I used for nearly everything (mandoline slicer, whisks, tongs, etc). Some of the higher end cook ware such as All-Clad don't seem to exist here although Le Creuset is quite popular. Same with Cuisinart products - haven't found them here.

Bring pepto bismol, tums, benadryl, and advil as others have noted they either don't exist or require a visit to the pharmacy counter.

Jackie1 likes this.

people advising to bring Pepto bismol should just look at their diet. This shit does not help and in the long will mess with your stomach. I used to get anti acids etc... all the time until I quit that toxic job and changed my diet. All solved and never had acid reflux again.

Sage and TheBrit like this.

Original Post Deleted
    tf19 likes this.

I would advise to be open-minded about alternatives here.

There are amazing shops with every kind of kitchenware you could want, like King Tat in Wan Chai. Even Wing On has a good assortment of things, and it's fun to discover other brands or kitchenware from places like Japan or Korea.

https://goo.gl/maps/NoeiAhrpjYWQ5cSt7

As for medicine, Hong Kong is actually quite easy, because pharmacies don't require prescriptions. To get medicine, you either go straight to a pharmacy and ask for what you need (generic names) or you can visit a family doctor (GP) and as part of the consultation fee, they will include the needed medicine. The only thing from the US I've ever missed is neosporin.

Like someone else said, if you're not petite or have big feet, definitely stock up on clothes and shoes at home, and keep in mind that for 70% of the year you will want to wear as light of clothing as possible.

But definitely reconsider if you want to move to HK right now. You need to be aware that you are moving to mainland China.

Quote Originally Posted by kacen:
    yes, employer is providing all the current restrictions and must haves and is covering shipping costs. I’m not familiar with Western cookware, besides it being a style. Is that a brand out there?

Yes we understand the sizing of places are quite smaller than what we are used to. We arent expecting to move to the same size of place as we have out here.

My biggest concern is bring pots/pans/etc when its not necessary because we cant use them for the sake of the kind of stove/oven that will be there.
    "western cookware" - anything you use in an oven. Most HK flats DO NOT have an oven. Yes, you can get most things here but many are very expensive. If you have many items of X, just bring one, you won't have the storage space you are used to. Definitely get food - you can't get or it will be very expensive to buy many things that Chinese people don't like (so cheese is expensive, western snack foods and toiletries are expensive etc).

Also, there are dozens of similar threads on here - search for them as some have very extensive lists of stuff that you cannot get.