Like Tree15Likes

Moving from US to HKG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun:
    The cookware used in the U.S. is ‘western’ cookware.
    tf19 likes this.

I would advise to be open-minded about alternatives here.

There are amazing shops with every kind of kitchenware you could want, like King Tat in Wan Chai. Even Wing On has a good assortment of things, and it's fun to discover other brands or kitchenware from places like Japan or Korea.

https://goo.gl/maps/NoeiAhrpjYWQ5cSt7

As for medicine, Hong Kong is actually quite easy, because pharmacies don't require prescriptions. To get medicine, you either go straight to a pharmacy and ask for what you need (generic names) or you can visit a family doctor (GP) and as part of the consultation fee, they will include the needed medicine. The only thing from the US I've ever missed is neosporin.

Like someone else said, if you're not petite or have big feet, definitely stock up on clothes and shoes at home, and keep in mind that for 70% of the year you will want to wear as light of clothing as possible.

But definitely reconsider if you want to move to HK right now. You need to be aware that you are moving to mainland China.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    But definitely reconsider if you want to move to HK right now. You need to be aware that you are moving to mainland China.
    It depends for how long OP is planning to stay, if coming with kids and so on. If it's a 2 year stay, no kids I think it's still a fun place to be. But I would not want to come here now to get my kids brainwashed for example.

Quote Originally Posted by kacen:
    yes, employer is providing all the current restrictions and must haves and is covering shipping costs. I’m not familiar with Western cookware, besides it being a style. Is that a brand out there?

Yes we understand the sizing of places are quite smaller than what we are used to. We arent expecting to move to the same size of place as we have out here.

My biggest concern is bring pots/pans/etc when its not necessary because we cant use them for the sake of the kind of stove/oven that will be there.
    "western cookware" - anything you use in an oven. Most HK flats DO NOT have an oven. Yes, you can get most things here but many are very expensive. If you have many items of X, just bring one, you won't have the storage space you are used to. Definitely get food - you can't get or it will be very expensive to buy many things that Chinese people don't like (so cheese is expensive, western snack foods and toiletries are expensive etc).

Also, there are dozens of similar threads on here - search for them as some have very extensive lists of stuff that you cannot get.

Recently I’ve found it hard to find the variety and quality of only two things in HK vs the US:

1) Medicines, vitamins, supplements - much more variety and higher quality can be found in the US. A true hassle finding effective cold and flu, pain meds, allergy medicine etc over-the-counter
    2) Bed linen - overpriced and hard to shop for good bed sheets etc in HK; also things like comforter clips don’t exist here

It’s good that these days Amazon, iHerb and US department stores like Macy’s can ship pretty much anything to Hong Kong and its easy to find things (vs hunting in multiple stores in HK)

I’d also bring some local foods - like jams from your state, chocolates, spreads, whatever is famous in your area. A taste of home, will help when you get homesick! But make sure you don’t put jams in your carry-on and don't bring any meat!

Oh someone mentioned OXO tools - a small selection exists here (can find in SOGO for example) but at higher prices (basically top retail price, no discounts) compared to US.
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kacen:
    Hi!

4) What are some other necessary items to bring over that will help us feel more at home?

If you are very specific about brands of body deodorants and the like, bring them over as well. Those brands are most likely hard to find here.

If you color your hair with home coloring kits, bring a few...there are many, many shades of black but very few of brown and maybe 1 of blonde. Can get it done at a hair salon but can be pricey and not all places are good with subtle shades of western hair colors. Some places charge more for shipping due to the ammonia and other chemicals in the kits. Or change your hair color- if you have always wanted black hair, this is your moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    On the Western cookware comment, there are a few brands that I used in the States that don't seem to be super popular. A few that comes to mind are OXO tools which I used for nearly everything (mandoline slicer, whisks, tongs, etc). Some of the higher end cook ware such as All-Clad don't seem to exist here although Le Creuset is quite popular. Same with Cuisinart products - haven't found them here.
    All very easy to find, either at low end places like Shanghai Street or high end like Pan Handler or Sogo etc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3