Like Tree15Likes

Moving from US to HKG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving from US to HKG

Hi!
    My husband and I are relocating from the states to Hong Kong and Im in need of some help. We have not found a place to live yet, he will be making his way there within the next couple weeks to find us a flat/ house. However, the movers are coming in a few days.

My questions are:
    1) What kitchen utensils are important to bring over? (Silverware, glasses, plates/bowls,etc)

2) What about cooking utensils? (pots, pans, pyrex dishes, baking sheets, spatulas,etc)

3) Are we allowed to bring medicine (aspirin, allergy medicine, etc) in? If so, how much is allowed?

4) What are some other necessary items to bring over that will help us feel more at home?

Good luck with the move.

Given the latest restrictions on flying from the US to here make sure you can get the required covid testing done with a rapid turnaround time to be allowed to board the plane...

If shipping costs aren't a concern (eg if an employer is paying) I'd bring everything kitchen related. But unless you have a big housing budget bear in mind your kitchen may be 1/8th the size of what you have in the States, and you may not have an oven at all. Western cookware is all available here but generally pretty expensive.

I'm not aware of any issues with medication... Certainly asprin and allergy tablets are fine. Carry the prescription for anything exotic just in case.

I'd go to the supermarket and buy as much non perishable food, sauces, herbs, etc. as you possibly can for a taste of home. Plus toiletries etc. as again the ranges are limited here and expensive.

kacen likes this.

yes, employer is providing all the current restrictions and must haves and is covering shipping costs. I’m not familiar with Western cookware, besides it being a style. Is that a brand out there?

Yes we understand the sizing of places are quite smaller than what we are used to. We arent expecting to move to the same size of place as we have out here.

My biggest concern is bring pots/pans/etc when its not necessary because we cant use them for the sake of the kind of stove/oven that will be there.

All those on the list can be easily acquired in HK - only bring those things "Of sentimental value".

Just DO NOT bring your TV sets IF they are 110 Volt / & or / NTSC color only! {Unless you plan to use them as "Boat anchors").

Same goes for HI-Fi and other powered items only accepting 110 Volt mains.

Mains 220V to 110 Volt transformers don't come cheaply here & hi-capacity ones weigh heavily on the wallet *&* in carrying them around !

Still want to come???? <Grin>.

Elegiaque likes this.

Yes, we have already found homes for all things electronic. And we have signed a 2 year agreement to be there, no turning back now! ...Unless the company deems it too unsafe at this point.

My questions are:
    1) What kitchen utensils are important to bring over? (Silverware, glasses, plates/bowls,etc).

Whatever you bring, bring less than you think you need because the "kitchens" in Hong Kong aren't typically what you'd of being an American. Lack of storage is going to be an issue. If you need the odd serving platter or tongs or what not, those are easily sourced from Ikea or the many kitchen/restaurant stores on Shanghai Street in Kowloon. Keep in mind most people don't entertain at home like we do in the 'States so 10 place settings would just take up space and never be used. Entertainment is done outside of the house.

2) What about cooking utensils? (pots, pans, pyrex dishes, baking sheets, spatulas,etc).

I would guess 1 in 10 flats have an oven. If it's important to you and your family, be sure to specify to the real estate agents you are working with you require an oven. Also keep in mind there's a pretty good chance that you'll hire a helper (maid) and the helper will end up doing much of the cooking. So if you are protective of your Le Crueset or whatever, leave it at home.

3) Are we allowed to bring medicine (aspirin, allergy medicine, etc) in? If so, how much is allowed?

Yes, I don't know technically what you are allowed, but I can't imagine immigration caring one bit if you have a couple of jugs of Costco-branded antihistamines. You'll want to carry meds. A six week journey on a ship that may or may not be climate controlled would not be good for your meds. I couldn't find Pepto in HKG so I always had some of that around.

4) What are some other necessary items to bring over that will help us feel more at home?

People with big feet have trouble finding shoes in HKG.

It's a fine balance between being comfortable in a new place vs. trying to recreate what you have at home. I'd recommend against the latter. Otherwise what's the point of living abroad?

There are many threads asking the questions you've asked. Might want to seek those out.

Good luck.

shri, Elegiaque and z754103 like this.

We did the move 1.5 years ago. We brought the basic kitchen item with us. Most of the items you can buy here as long as you know where to find them. It is not like Wal-Mart / Target. We brought 1 dutch oven and 1 pan with us and other basic kitchen utensils. Do bring a pizza cutter and spoon rest (Believe it or not, I can't find one here until I went back to the state last Nov...). Like other mention, The voltage and plugs are different here. Most US appliances will need a convertor. We did brought our Vitamix and a Kitchen Aid mixer back from the US. We got a 1000W convertor and a 25ft extension cord to connect them when needed. Hispanic seasoning also will be good to have. Although you can order from iherb. Those type of seasoning are hard to come by. Just make sure to bring what make you guys comfortable and feel like home. It will be a big adjustment but we do have a great expat community to help each other out.

z754103 likes this.

Hispanic seasoning also will be good to have. Although you can order from iherb. Those type of seasoning are hard to come by.
    Random comment - check out regency spices. Fresh mixes... pricier than iHerb, but worth it if you're fanatical about spices.
    TheMatrix0101 likes this.

My friend bought her bicycle from states. It could be expensive if purchase nice one here. Given the current covi19 situation, riding bikes in my view is one of a few safe exercise activity to do.

Related but not exactly crockery - if you follow any vegan, gluten-free etc diets it's a good idea to bring a batch of those foods which can be stored. "Protein" or sugar free food (like Walden farms etc) either you can't get in HK or when you finally find it, it'll be 4-5 times the price of what you normally pay for it. I might still get one but its a bit annoying with the mark-up even allowing for shipping etc.

Recently I was shopping for sweeteners and found its also 5 times the cost of back in the UK

Coolboy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast