Going to study at CUHK

Going to study at CUHK

Hello everyone I am planning to study at CUHK in June of 09. I am looking to rent something for one year and looking to spend between 8-10K a year on rent. I would of course prefer to be close to the school but I would prefer to be far from the school and in a nicer ( upscale) apartment. Preferably to include a doorman, nice view and of course safe area. I have found the Horizon suite service apartment and that is definitely an option but im looking for a few more. It doesn't need to be a serviced apartment though that is of course a plus. Thank

er2

Hi,

I guess you mean per month and not per year. For that budget you'll have plenty of option, but it is a bit early to look I'd say - the real estate market here is as volatile as the stock market in some other countries.... Just post here again in May and your options will be very different from what they might be now.

That said, you might wanna have a look at either Tai Wai or City One. Be aware that quite a few programs (Law, public health) are taught off the main campus.

I study at CUHK as well and live in Sha Tin Wai, but my budget is a bit tighter than yours.

yeh per month. I plan to be studying mandarin at the language center and maybe even get a degree in Hospitality. What area would that be in? Also what can you tell me ( if anything) about the mandarin program for non chinese speakers?

er2

Hospitality .... that would be tourism & stuff, right? Presumably on the main campus since the fancy new "teaching" Hyatt opens there this spring.

I know one German girl who takes the mandarin program, she says it is pretty tough and she doesn't know if she can move on to the next level next term or if she has to repeat level 1. If you need details PM me your email address & I'll forward it to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyamato:
    Also what can you tell me ( if anything) about the mandarin program for non chinese speakers?
    The full time Mandarin program at CUHK is pretty work intensive. But if you are a regular undergraduate or postgraduate student at CUHK you can take two language classes (6 credits) each term. I used this method to take several Mandarin and later Cantonese classes for non-chinese speakers. In general the classes for beginners have a higher workload than intermediate or advanced classes. The quality of teachers is good (apart from a very few exceptions) and the teaching usually focuses more on patterns rather than memorizing long lists of vocabulary.

The problem with taking Mandarin classes in Hong Kong is that most of the people here do not really like to speak Mandarin. That means there is not much opportunity to actually use what you learn in class. Immersion is very important when learning Chinese, so mainland China or Taiwan are much better places to study Mandarin.