Like Tree52Likes

Is moving to HK safe at the moment?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

You already sound very eager to come over here so, I should think the judgment of others won't make any difference in what you will eventually decide yourself.

I'd say it's safe to come for an adventure for a few years. As long as you are not politically active then no one will take an interest in you on that score. I know plenty of late 20's expats from the UK still enjoying/having a good time and don't intend leaving anytime soon.

Hi , i am shirley from hong kong.

Corona - there are 19 diagnosis confirmed today.
    All restaurants and cafes can open until 10 o'clock.
    Very safe.all peoples wear mask.
    If you are doing sports or exercise outside, you have no need to wear mask now.

Political - no demonstration etc now.
    Very very safe.

Hope you enjoy your hong kong life.

I am Shirley and I was born and raised in Hong Kong.
    I have over ten years of experience as a Cantonese language tutor and teacher in Hong Kong.

I can speak cantonese, mandarin,Japanese and english.

If you need a cantonese teacher in hk, or you just want a fd In hk, you can contact me.

Best regards
    Shirley

BearLover1999 makes a fair point about meeting people / making friends. I moved here at the end of March 2020, and I have found it to be incredibly lonely. All the "normal" ways one would would make friends as an expat are not available owing to Covid restrictions, and I am not yet working, which would be the other way to meet people. I know things will get better, and it will change, but it has been a tough start to a new country. If you are going to be working from home, and unable to physically meet people at work, think about how much you need friends and other people in your life. Some people are fine with their own company for months at a time, others find it tough. Aside from that though, I am glad we moved to Hong Kong - it's an amazing city to live in.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Just don't leave it too long to bail out of here to another country were you can find a partner interested in other than twig thin girls. Thus says "BCD"

I came here more than 40 years ago, fell in love with a fairly slim Chinese graduate & been happily married for 42 years.

As the years have gone by, she has failed to stay as slim as she once was, and me - I have got slimmer & slimmer - So we are rather equal in that we both are about the same weight now.

When I look at British/European women on the TV news, I'm sure am GLAD that I was never seduced into marriage with a bloated wife in tow now.

Me? I like the look of "twiggy thin" girls ! But that doesn't mean that I have any intention of "trading in" my SWMBO - ever!

I've had numerous UK girlfriends, but I DID have the foresight to "grab" a well educated Chinese graduate and make her mine soon after she finished HKU !

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia:
    Just don't leave it too long to bail out of here to another country were you can find a partner interested in other than twig thin girls. Thus says "BCD"

I came here more than 40 years ago, fell in love with a fairly slim Chinese graduate & been happily married for 42 years.

As the years have gone by, she has failed to stay as slim as she once was, and me - I have got slimmer & slimmer - So we are rather equal in that we both are about the same weight now.

When I look at British/European women on the TV news, I'm sure am GLAD that I was never seduced into marriage with a bloated wife in tow now.

Me? I like the look of "twiggy thin" girls ! But that doesn't mean that I have any intention of "trading in" my SWMBO - ever!

I've had numerous UK girlfriends, but I DID have the foresight to "grab" a well educated Chinese graduate and make her mine soon after she finished HKU !

This post is disgusting. Your poor wife and hope you don’t have daughters. Jesus.
    Skyhook, TaD_LaLa, mich14 and 1 others like this.

There are many good thoughts already. I just want to add:

- Maybe not safe if you're an Australian journalist.
    - If you come, you may need to still have in the back of your mind preparation and plans to move back asap (e.g. carrier for your cat) in case something were to suddenly erupt. The situations we've been through has made us think about how vulnerable HK is, food, water, electricity all come from outside.
    - If you're coming with a cat, you may need to consider moving further out to be able to afford more space. I live on an outlying island and have a larger flat with a (safe) rooftop for my two cats. It's a good compromise. I think it's somewhat unfair to cats to be locked in tiny 300-400 sq/ft apartments in the city, especially if your cat has known otherwise. If you're on an island, you may have a greater sense of community and more space/things (e.g. beach) if you're in a work-from-home situation.

The political situation aside, HK on the whole is a very safe place and would be welcoming for a woman.

We had the protests, then we had covid, so working from home has become a way of life now. It seems hard to believe everything would be cleared up by January and life would return to "normal". I think even if it does, we'll all still be on our toes and not surprised when the next thing comes around.

Baklava likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    Single late 20's from Oz? Could be a social dating issue coming here. Even before covid the dating scene for xpat ladies is pretty slim pickings. If your not looking to settle down yet then could be fun here for a couple of years. Just don't leave it too long to bail out of here to another country were you can find a partner interested in other than twig thin girls.
    Over the years I have heard many times expat women complain about expat men being only interested in Asian girls and completely snubbing western women. And I think it’s an important issue to consider before moving here if you’re single.

On the other hand, some of these western women have no problem declaring that they’re absolutely not interested in locals or Asians in general as prospective partners, thus further limiting their possibilities with their own snubbing.

So... more food for thoughts for the OP.

Yes its safe. Unless you are Lawrence Olivier in the movie The Marathon Man.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3