Like Tree52Likes

Is moving to HK safe at the moment?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is moving to HK safe at the moment?

I've had a read through the forum and know that a similar question has been asked before but wanted some more information specific to my situation- thanks in advance!
    I've been offered a job that sounds good and am a single late 20s woman who will be moving with my cat/no other dependants. I don't speak any language other than English (nor apparently do many of my would-be colleagues) but am up for an adventure, to work hard, learn lots and experience more of the world. I am a UK citizen currently living in australia and in fairness am happy here- its not a 'need to leave' situation just a new opportunity.
    Is HK a safe place to be? Friends have expressed concern about moving somewhere with so much political volatility. I accept there are risks but don't want to be reckless, or in a situation where I can't go out/make friends due to security concerns.
    I have no intention of becoming politically active but also don't want to end up accidentally hindering the pro-democracy movement by my inaction/getting in their way. Would it be better for HK for people like me to stay away?
    thanks very much for your thoughts

Ahh, the question. As you've said, you have read most of the discussion here and probably already know the answer - I'd say you'd get a 50-50 split between not going and going - yeah sucks you won't get the answer you were looking for.

You've read those who have left Hong Kong, reaped the benefits and now hate and despise it. Now singing praise about the nice air, bright sunshine, efficient government, better everything where they live now though still lingering on HK Geoexpat lol. You would have also read about those who are still here, reaping the benefits and have decided to stay for now.

Good luck on what ever decision you make!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryCat:
    I've had a read through the forum and know that a similar question has been asked before but wanted some more information specific to my situation- thanks in advance!
    I've been offered a job that sounds good and am a single late 20s woman who will be moving with my cat/no other dependants. I don't speak any language other than English (nor apparently do many of my would-be colleagues) but am up for an adventure, to work hard, learn lots and experience more of the world. I am a UK citizen currently living in australia and in fairness am happy here- its not a 'need to leave' situation just a new opportunity.
    Is HK a safe place to be? Friends have expressed concern about moving somewhere with so much political volatility. I accept there are risks but don't want to be reckless, or in a situation where I can't go out/make friends due to security concerns.
    I have no intention of becoming politically active but also don't want to end up accidentally hindering the pro-democracy movement by my inaction/getting in their way. Would it be better for HK for people like me to stay away?
    thanks very much for your thoughts
    There isn't a straightforward answer because a lot depends on the particular individual circumstances. Some find going back to where they "belong" (where ever that is) was the right move. Others however find moving to or staying in HK is still better than moving elsewhere, that they can get opportunities and pay they they could not get elsewhere. So in short, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer. It depends on the particular field you intend to work in.

You are concerned with political instability? Politial stability is definitely heading in the wrong direction. There also negatives to HK living (i.e. small living spaces, pollution etc). But HK is still far better than places like Pakistan, Bangladesh, most third world capitals etc. HK instead is becoming like Singapore (minus the electoral vote) as an authoritarian government with limited freedoms but which provision of government services still works (i.e. heathcare, education, infrastructure etc). Crime is lower than most Western countries. Taxes are relatively low too. Public transport is excellent. English is an official language in this city etc. The better question is will that last?
    Last edited by Coolboy; 13-09-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Very safe, safer then NY Paris London Dublin etc

traineeinvestor likes this.

It was safe in May 2019. It's even safer in September 2021

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    It was safe in May 2019. It's even safer in September 2021
    Fortune teller?.

Safety would not be on my list of concerns for Hong Kong. I would go for it. (And I am one of the ones who left)
    chingleutsch likes this.

Expats have not been targeted to-date but its only a matter of time given the parlous state of US China relations.

There is no longer the luxury to consider HK as separate to China in terms of expat living standards,

ie if you are prepared to move here you should be prepared to have the same experiences as you would living in China, research accordingly.

If you're not engaged in protest activity then you're perfectly safe. Also, HK has very little street crime and harassment like you might experience in the UK or Australia as a women.

The main issue with moving here is trying to establish some kind of life for yourself during covid times. The expat scene can be very friendly and welcoming if you meet the right people. But HK has basically been in a endless state of lockdowns, closures, disruptions, etc since late last year. Besides your work colleagues it's really hard to new meet people. HKers are very cautious about the virus so any kind of group activities you might normally join to meet new people haven't been happening for a long time.

Another thing you should consider is if your company is still working from home. Some people haven't been back to the office since early February.

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    Expats have not been targeted to-date but its only a matter of time given the parlous state of US China relations.
    Expats have already been targeted, especially journalists.
    Sage, Gatts, Mrs. Jones and 5 others like this.

'Safe' is not really the right question and even if it were it means very different things to different people.

Your question sounds more like 'will HK be better than my current experiences' you'll get more helpful opinions if you give more details about what you will go from/too.

Salary and longer term job opportunities are a big part of the motivation for coming here - If you already know how expensive HK is for accommodation and that your salary will cover decent living conditions, the other factors are more about personal choice - do you like crowded big cities? Hiking? Beaches? (with lots of people on them?), noise? Pollution (for 6 months of the year)?

What about your cat? Can it live with never going outside again?

If your mind is already made up to come, 'safety' shouldn't put you off, but politics m.i.g.h.t.

Baklava likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast