Like Tree86Likes

Returning to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Returning to Hong Kong

I have a working visa valid until this july in Hong Kong and I am renting an apartment in Hong Kong but its just i went back to my home country for winter holidays. Now I have to return back to Hong Kong to sort my rent, and job applications but this hotel 3 weeks staying rule is making me abit unsure of whether I should go back at all.

Just to be clear everyone returning from their home country outside of China who are hong kong residents need to stay at a government designated Hotel for three weeks? Instead can we stay in our own residences instead of the hotel?

I am just posting to be sure and anyone who experienced this returning procedure recently.

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyResort:
    Just to be clear everyone returning from their home country outside of China who are hong kong residents need to stay at a government designated Hotel for three weeks? Instead can we stay in our own residences instead of the hotel?
    Yes to 21 days quarantine, no to being able to stay at your own home.

You're bang outta luck - 3 weeks (or 4 if they say so) in shitty hotel room.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

SO you don't have a job in HK at the moment? In that case it depends how much you want to be in HK and how much getting a job here is worth to you. If these things are worth 3 weeks in a hotel go for it!

Also you don’t specify your home country which may make a difference to the answer and not in any positive way

Just to add, if you have been in the UK or South Africa (or I suspect soon south America) then you probably can't come back at all.

And you need Covid tests etc.

And if you test positive on arrival you risk being incarcerated in a hospital or AISA world expo even without any symptoms, with no release date fixed (can be longer or shorter than 21 days)

hongkong7 likes this.

Sounds to me like an “under the table” arrangement between the government and these hotels. It’s all about the $$$! Really. It is. This way these hotels can make some money back after losing so much business during this virus crap. It’s possible the government is getting something out of this too. A scam.

Doesn't sound like the OP has a lot of ties here. Why bother coming back? Doesn't make a ton of sense to me unless the situation in your home country is atrocious.

My uneducated guess is the quarantine procedures are probably here to stay for another 6 months given how sensitive the HK government is with their 0 case target. Secondly, I doubt the economy is going to recover anytime soon https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...mployment-high -- (don't get me started on the longer term structural problems either).

rkenia852 and aw451 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond:
    Sounds to me like an “under the table” arrangement between the government and these hotels. It’s all about the $$$! Really. It is. This way these hotels can make some money back after losing so much business during this virus crap. It’s possible the government is getting something out of this too. A scam.
    It;s not really under the table, it's quite open. Government will subsidise them. So hotels are feeding people absolute crap food - I have never seen quite such awful food - and treating them like shit. No heaters, charging for blankets. Unbelievable the crap that's going on. The best quarantine hotel (Ovolu, which has stellar reviews) did not make the cut. Clearly they were treating guests like guests and this was not the desire of the HK Government.

Ovolo makes the cut on the new QT hotel list

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast