Will my salary be enough ? Just checking the latest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

your workplace provided you with a very very good package and salary. Many people are living in HK with only $10,000 monthly and they are the only provider for their family. My friend is getting paid $17K monthly and does not include accomodation. so your salary will definitely be enough. You won't be super rich there, but you will definitely get to live comfortably

It all depends on lifestyle of course! If the MRS. needs a new Chanel handbag a month, then it's definitely not enough ;-)

Well, housing is actually the most expensive thing to look out for in HK. If that's covered, 39k/mth is very very sufficient. You'll find most other things way cheaper in HK than in the UK.

On top of that, the rental market is in it's LOW now. You'd get a great deal esp. if your rent is paid via a company (landlords are worried about individual leases now)

Have fun!

that should be perfectly adequate for a young couple without kids, who don't want a helper.

my hubby and i get by on less with a helper, two kids, and two dogs...we also have 2 cars, which you won't need living in causeway bay. (who would want to live there, i don't know???!!!! yikes! convenient yes, but NOT nice to live in!)

hhmm, actually I think cwb is not that bad...if you choose the area nearer happy valley or jardine's outlook, it's actually very nice to live and close enough to the cwb center.

Quote Originally Posted by nsym
    hhmm, actually I think cwb is not that bad...if you choose the area nearer happy valley or jardine's outlook, it's actually very nice to live and close enough to the cwb center.
    Then it ceases to be Causeway Bay

I am a hongkonger. I think a net of 39k for a family of two is a bit tight. A nice dinner for two in a restaurant can easily cost you $800. Even your company pays the rental, you still have utility, cable TV, internet service charge, mobile phone charges to pay. Try to ask your housing agent to negotiate for you with the landlord and get him to pay for cable TV and internet. You may need to pay monthly fee for using the facilities like gym in your condo. If yes, also ask the housing agent to include in the salary. Try to negotiate with your company that the rental should include utility. Gas, Electricity, Water will cost you around $1500 a month, it may cost $2000 a month in summer though since you cannot live without aircon.

Hope this helps.

truffle...
    so...
    $39,000/month
    -$2000 for gas, elec, water etc
    -$2000 for ultra-cable & internet package & mobile & telephone

= $35,000/month

EVEN if they spend $10,000/month on groceries, shopping only in citysuper, oliver's etc that still leaves them

$25,000/month

if they then go out 10X per month and spend $800 each time...

that still leaves them $17,000 per month!!!

i would love to have $17,000 left over at the end of each month!

to the original poster....as you can see, everyone has VERY different standards of living... it will be up to you to live within your means. and those means are high above the vast majority of people in hong kong.

Renegotiate. 40k for an apartment in the current climate is needlessly throwing away a lot of money. 25k will get you a nice place.

Havent checked this post for a while. Thanks to everyone who has posted, you advice has been a great help. We land in HK the first week in Feb so I hope you all have a great CNY and maybe I will see some of you around.

Russ

quite tight but you can get by

I've lived in Hong Kong for more than 10 years. Started off with an entry level job at 9k a month.
    Seriously, I really didnt feel that I could have money in the bank until I started earning more than 80k a month for myself.
    But then I prefer to have high savings and be able to invest well.
    But if the job is a good opportunity with career advancement then your package sounds pretty good and you should be able to live modestly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast