Like Tree10Likes

Recently got a job offer. Relocation assistance possible?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It's common to have a relocation allowance...either in cash (=you use it as you see fit) or in serviced apartment + 'relocation assistance' (=shipment of your stuff, agent help you find a place, etc).

I've personally never heard of a "first salary advance" to cover apartment deposit, although I guess you can always ask...

GentleGeorge likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Jetco have more ATM (~3300, source Wikipedia) than HSBC ("more than 1000", source HSBC website).

But I agree it's not a problem with any bank in HK.

Understood. Thank you for telling me. Btw, does HK have an ATM network wherein I can withdraw from another bank's ATM to debit from my account? Like, I hold an HSBC ATM and I'll withdraw from Citibank or Standard Chartered?

I was paid a relocation fee equivalent to 1 months' salary however my colleague (we originated from diff countries) did not.. so definitely ask, as it may not necessarily be part of a standard offer.

Quote Originally Posted by galathar:
    Understood. Thank you for telling me. Btw, does HK have an ATM network wherein I can withdraw from another bank's ATM to debit from my account? Like, I hold an HSBC ATM and I'll withdraw from Citibank or Standard Chartered?
    HSBC and hangseng are one network, all other banks are the other network (it's called - as mentioned in my previous post - Jetco)

Even my 'conservative' (Stingy) wife's school provided salary advance to cover setting up expenses. Cannot quite remember what it was be it certainly covered 2 months rent.

I just realized Hong Kong's quarantine policy states I will need to be locked up for 21 days. Wow!

Surely this is covered by my potential employer, correct?

I just realized Hong Kong's quarantine policy states I will need to be locked up for 21 days. Wow!

Ask your employer. I don't think HK is like some other places (e.g. Singapore) where the government clearly specify that the employer bringing in an employee is responsible for the SHN..

best to ask and confirm.

Some employers cover even the 2 month deposit for your apartment, obviously you will have to give it back when you move (either apartment or job)
    So also worth asking.