Like Tree10Likes

Recently got a job offer. Relocation assistance possible?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Recently got a job offer. Relocation assistance possible?

Hi all. This past Wednesday, I got a job offer from my prospective employer for a full-time position. We are going to finalize all the details this coming Tuesday and everything I've seen in the offer is within my expectations. I was just wondering if it's common practice to ask for some sort of relocation package. I'm not expecting much, but there are a few things that I need to pay attention to when I start looking for accommodation. I'll be coming from Singapore.

I understand that Hong Kong landlords often ask for 2 months worth of deposit. My worry is that after I do my quarantine, and my employer presumably puts me in temporary housing for 3 or 4 weeks (conservatively), I won't have enough money to fork out a deposit until I get my first paycheck.

Is it perfectly reasonable to ask the employer to help me cover the deposit expenses first? Or perhaps ask for an extended accommodation until I have enough HKD in my bank account to cover all the upfront expenses? This is my only concern. I'm not asking for a free condo or grocery allowance or something outrageous.

Any insight or feedback based on experience would be greatly appreciated!

Service apartments are pretty cheap at the moment and hotels have many monthly deals. I suggest going down that route before signing on to a lease.

HK_Katherine and NateM like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    Service apartments are pretty cheap at the moment and hotels have many monthly deals. I suggest going down that route before signing on to a lease.
    Thanks for the feedback. So you think I shouldn't ask for my company anymore regarding some form of relocation assistance? Also, serviced apartments do not ask you for a deposit, correct?

They don’t, but you can ask relocation support to your company, it is quite common. and also you can get advanced salary from the company to cover the deposit (or whatever is the reason) I think up to a certain % of your salary

Quote Originally Posted by galathar:
    Thanks for the feedback. So you think I shouldn't ask for my company anymore regarding some form of relocation assistance?
    Is there any downside to asking? Probably not if you do it tactfully and professionally. In that case the worst case is they say no and you're back to your current situation with nothing lost.

serviced apartment ask for even more deposit, 3 months the last time I check. Check hotels (non quarantine ones), you can get monthly package without having to pay a deposit.

alexdown and NateM like this.

There is no harm in asking. Explain your situation, they also might be able to extend your stay at the temporary housing if that is doable while you are establishing yourself here. My situation was very similar the first time I moved.

I see. Thanks for sharing your perspectives and experiences. It's true that there should be no harm asking. I just wanted to be sure that this is common practice in Hong Kong, since each country has their own set of written and unwritten job offer rules/ethics. I didn't want to come off too demanding.

I will raise it up during our final conversation and ask them if they can provide any kind of temporary assistance. I'll also check hotel deals.

Dear Galathar,

It is not unreasonable to ask for a salary advance to cover the deposit. All multinational companies understand and provide this to employees. Also, ask them for a one-time cash relocation grant so that you can cover your expenses while you wait for your first-month salary.

The other issue is the delay in banks opening your salary account. Because of the numerous issues faced by HSBC on AML, they take seven weeks to open an account. PM me for better banks. Nevertheless, it will take time to open one here. You can check with DBS or SC if they can open an account in HK based on your relationship with them in SG.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by icarushongkong:
    Dear Galathar,

It is not unreasonable to ask for a salary advance to cover the deposit. All multinational companies understand and provide this to employees. Also, ask them for a one-time cash relocation grant so that you can cover your expenses while you wait for your first-month salary.

The other issue is the delay in banks opening your salary account. Because of the numerous issues faced by HSBC on AML, they take seven weeks to open an account. PM me for better banks. Nevertheless, it will take time to open one here. You can check with DBS or SC if they can open an account in HK based on your relationship with them in SG.

All the best!
    hi icarus. Many thanks for your input. I am not sure yet if my new employer uses HSBC for their payroll account, but I did start looking at the banks in HK. You're correct maybe DBS can help me open one in HK, but I was slightly leaning towards HSBC out of convenience and I noticed you can open an account using the app. However, if they still have delays in opening accounts, then maybe I have to look at other banks since every day without a bank account in HK is living life on the edge.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast