Like Tree122Likes

Moving from New Zealand to HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

A qualified kindergarten teacher will easily make 25k on average. I have some friends who earn around 45k.

You can definitely live a great life here, many do and are not on a high salary. It all depends on working locations and how much of a commute you want.

ChloeNZ, alexdown and z754103 like this.

With double income, your family should be able to afford to live in HK comfortably and still saving good money.

You can work full time or part time with dependent pass visa, the school do not need to sponsor a visa for you.

Housing wise, you can consider places like Lamma island or Discovery Bay to get a 3 bedrooms with affordable rent. but, 3 bedrooms here won't be as big as in NZ. It's just 30+ minutes by ferry from central.

Obviously HK nature is nothing compare to NZ, but its really not that bad at all for high rise city. And, it's nearer to travel around Asia, China and Europe. (not now obviously)

ChloeNZ likes this.

From a career development standpoint, it seems that past managers/coaches here have moved on to being more successful after their stints here. Maybe someone within the rugby community can chime in? And the union is supported by the government as well when it comes to funding.

And just a note on this forum, you will most likely be hearing a lot from people who are ready to leave (can no longer stand this place after years of reaping the benefits) or have already left and now enjoying the view where they are, fresh air, fresh water, fresh fish, fresh, fresh, fresh....

ChloeNZ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    From a career development standpoint, it seems that past managers/coaches here have moved on to being more successful after their stints here. Maybe someone within the rugby community can chime in? And the union is supported by the government as well when it comes to funding.

And just a note on this forum, you will most likely be hearing a lot from people who are ready to leave (can no longer stand this place after years of reaping the benefits) or have already left and now enjoying the view where they are, fresh air, fresh water, fresh fish, fresh, fresh, fresh....
    We do have friends who lived in HK for 10 years and loved it and said it would be an amazing experience for us and the kids... Not sure if it was a different climate from when they lived there to what it is now though (politically, economically etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    Not good for us (haha) better to find out now than later down the track after a move though!!
    hullexile and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    You can definitely live a great life here, many do and are not on a high salary.
    Locals do. I'd venture that she won't be having a better life than in NZ unless they are making at least twice of what they are making right now, plus whatever their kids education is gonna cost.
    ChloeNZ and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Does @ChloeNZ mean she is a kindergarten teacher? Still... well paid. I once heard of a kindergarten teacher making $50k/month, not that that's normal.
    I suppose it depends what schools you are referring to. I am talking proper/respectable/international Kindergartens. My Wife was Principal of one. The teachers there, many of whom were/are friends, were earning twice what they were in the UK. UK state Infant (Kindergarten teachers) are on the same scale as any other qualified teacher so they would be earning £25-35K per year. So I am guessing they would be on £50K per year in HK which translates to 45000HKD per month.

I taught part time (2.5 days) in a DSS secondary school and earned $30,000 per month. So, yes in a decent international school setting you can earn decent money (for teachers!) - 'even' in Kindergarten.

Plus, don't forget, the low tax rate for a husband and wife with 2 kids.

HK is different now, and your kids will have to go to school in the current climate... exhibit:

https://hk.appledaily.com/news/20210...HSQP5MXTPVXZI/