Employment Contract Advice, Please....

Employment Contract Advice, Please....

Hi, all.

An American would appreciate some advice in considering a move to HK to work for a Chinese company.

I am, of course, concerned about moving all the way over and the company going out of business or me being laid off.

What sort of language can I ask to have put into my contract in order to get some sort of guaranteed severance? What would be standard policy in terms of number of weeks or months of severance they should give me? One person told me I should try to sign a one-year contract, and then if they fire me they have to pay out the entire contract amount, but I can't imagine they would ever agree to something like that in this economy. Any advice? Thank you!

First I would suggest looking at Companies Registry - Home
    to see if they are registered Hong Kong company.

Hong Kong Basic Law states English & Chinese as co-official languages. Languages of Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A key element for the terms of your contract would be based on the position you are in the the company. If you can tell us it would help frame the answers better.

I would be a Compliance Manager, with a salary of about 60000HK per month.

cmlg

ulu

It's not truth. If your sign a year contract, either employer or employee can terminate it by notice in advance.

Your package seems attractive, are there any other benefit? e.g. medical insurance, year-end bonus....

There are many grey zone in our labour law. To know more, call HKSAR labour department.

See Employment Ordinance chapter 57

Labour Department - Labour Legislation

Good luck

Last edited by cmlg; 13-12-2008 at 05:03 PM.