• 1 Post By jabalong
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By silverframe202
  • 1 Post By sharls

Having my dog come and go with me

Closed Thread

Having my dog come and go with me

Hi, everyone!
    Currently I'm living in US, but thinking about options to move elsewhere. Got a reasonably successful online business. So, not tied to geography for money. From all my travels and test drives of locations, the perfect combo seems to be half a year in Uruguay, and half a year in HK. I also have a dog. I understand that bringing her to HK wouldn't be a huge problem, coming from US (US being in group 2). But if I left with her to Uruguay for half a year (from HK), would she have to go into quarantine when coming back to HK from Uruguay (Uruguay being group 3)?
    Thanks!

That isn't going to work.

"Dogs and cats imported from Group III countries / places are subject to a minimum of 4-month quarantine period at the Animal Management Centre of this Department"

https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quar..._Mainland.html

And even if it there wasn't quarantine, is it really fair to your dog to subject them to two trans-Pacific flights a year?

And South America to Asia, really? It doesn't look like there are even direct flights. It looks like transfers at one or more airports, what an ordeal for your dog.

Can't have everything in life. Find a place you can live with year-round and give your dog a stable home. Or find two places that are much closer to each other.

emx likes this.

Just want to point out that the average waiting time for a place in the quarantine center is 6 months. AFCD will outright tell you to ship your pet to a Group I/II country for 6 months to avoid quarantine in HK.

MABinPengChau and shri like this.

Your other issue might be the type of visa you have.

I'm assuming you're about to do the digital nomad thing on a tourist visa. Apologies if you're a resident here.

Being the paranoid of govt-computer-says-no type I'd like to point out a couple of issues if you've not researched them.

- if you can import or travel with pets if you're on a tourist visa.
    - Short term pet friendly accommodation is not exactly easy to find.
    - Dog will need to be licensed here
    - Right now live animals on plane shipments are severely restricted due to capacity and seem to be VERY expensive. Not sure when this will normalise.
    - Dealing with temperature issue related delays during summer months

I transported my dog in the last year with me from the US and while it does not require quarantine it isn’t without its challenges. For example you need a hand stamped certified USDA certificate done within 14 days prior to flight. So that means that you have to visit a vet , pay for a certificate (mine was about 200usd ) and then overnight it to the nearest USDA office for hand stamping and verification and hope it makes it back in time for your flight. That process alone was about 300 dollars or so but then the other additional paperwork, handling and flight cost about 2k all in and took about 4 months to get ready. After this move the next time my dog flies again is either going home or moving to a new country permanently.

Excuse my shitty typing, I’m on mobile.

vmlinuz likes this.

If I was to do this, I'd come on entrepreneur visa. And I don't mind going through the headache of "importing" process if it's only once. I guess the question is- would there still be a need to go through the same hustle every time, even if the dog is licensed in HK and all the importing procedures have been done when relocating initially? As for comfort of transportation, she is my furry baby, and I don't have a problem jet pooling a couple of times a year.

shri likes this.