Like Tree33Likes

Seeking Employment Advice in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thank you. Definitely not looking to make a career out of gaming. Don't have what it takes. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Denial, lies, false accusation and whataboutism. A perfect fit no less.
    You can throw a tantrum all you want, but without being able to point to any concrete evidence... makes your points weak. I am not convinced.

Since I clearly can't change your mind and you can't change mine, can we agree to disagree and you just leave me alone?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInHK:
    Immigration Assistant was just posted on ctgoodjobs in June 2021
    They need manpower so why not try?

Contact Address: Recruitment and Training Research Section, Immigration Department, UG/F, Immigration Service Institute of Training and Development, 82 Castle Peak Road, Castle Peak Bay, Tuen Mun, N.T.
    Enquiry Telephone: 3693 8166
    Closing Date(dd/mm/yyyy): Applications are accepted all year round until further notice.
    Web Site of Department: https://www.immd.gov.hk

Immigration Assistant
    IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENT
    Salary: General Disciplined Services (Rank and File) Pay Scale Point 3 (HK$21,780) to General Disciplined Services (Rank and File) Pay Scale Point 13 (HK$30,100) per month

Job ref no.: 44443 (CT3130773-01#0151) Report Print
    Posted on 2021-06-08
    https://www.ctgoodjobs.hk/job/immigr...stant/07051910
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I have applied.

Original Post Deleted

Ah so a Survey now counts as concrete evidence and proof. I would like to see that in a court of law.

Edit: If we're just going to throw links of riot protests and the outcomes. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-unrest-acled

Back to my earlier points. I still believe the Hong Kong Police Force handled the 2019 riot admirably. I mean the riots in the states in 2020 has least 25 Americans killed.

Thank you for the compliment. I mean I can critically think for myself which some would see as a plus.
    Last edited by lokinaoto; 06-07-2021 at 11:35 PM.

I mean ya, The police force has been recruiting overseas for a while now. I saw someone complaining seeing ads being place in a university in UK or something.

I've spent two years living in Hang Zhou attending Zhejiang University. I mean sure I need to brush up my mandarin a bit as it's my third language and I only started learning it in high school. When the border reopens I plan to visit my friend in Beijing as well. Like most Canadian, I'm pretty open minded and I don't discriminate others base on where they're from.

Hkemail888 likes this.

It sounds like you have two things:
    - Canadian citizenship and freedom to live in another more livable country (presumably finances to move between the two places, too)
    - A free place/owned apartment in Hong Kong

These are two things many Hong Kongers do not have. The discontent is with a lack of ability to help shape their own community and have a better quality of life.

It's quite easy to find examples of police brutality and since that isn't the subject of the thread, I won't do the simple research for you, but here are some examples that come to mind that I remember well having lived here through 2019:
    - Yuen Long attacks and lack of police action to protect the public.
    - Shooting an Indonesian reporter in the eye without any warning (taking away her sight forever).
    - Arresting and locking up highly popular democratically elected community representatives who were quite active in meeting the public and helping address daily-life issues.
    - Chasing after and harassing a frightened school girl.
    The video evidence is appalling and I stopped watching it because I couldn't bear it. You're right in that Hong Kong does not have guns and overall we are very, very fortunate. Had guns been a part of the mixture, like in the US, yes, things would be much worse. I wouldn't blame HKers though for having a higher standard and expectation. Through the whole experience the public was never in danger from protesters, only the police.

Just yesterday the sentencing of over 4 months came out the civilian trying to help a situation caused by what seems like a mad police officer. Did you see that video?

I will never forget the fear I felt going to work early in the morning in a dead quiet neighborhood and seeing the police walk around like storm troopers. My colleagues and their children with allergies had to face tear gas on their way home.

Then there's the daily neglect like lack of traffic law enforcement because they pander to rural leaders and the deaths and accidents that causes. Not a week goes by that someone doesn't die on the streets of Hong Kong because of lack of poor design and upgrading the transport design systems (not police's fault), which are largely for private vehicles like the ones the government goes around in, not the average HKer who uses public transportation and walking.

I'll bet they're trying to recruit overseas because they can't find many young people here willing. And regardless of how admirable you think the HKPF is, keen in mind you'll be living in a city in which the majority of people hate them very much, so you have to consider if you want to be subjected to those kinds of attitudes. In my opinion, you'll have no problem getting recruited eventually and should just follow up with them professionally. Generally, the level of English isn't very good in the PF, so if you join I hope you can improve it.

Getting into immigration is very difficult I've heard as it's a life-long job security and the bar is set high to pass training.

I can understand where you're coming from with admiration for law and enforcement, but I do hope you'll have open eyes about the shifts and lack of privileges.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 07-07-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    junichitsuyo, cookie09 and rs4 like this.

I still believe the Hong Kong Police Force handled the 2019 riot admirably
    Without going into debate and taking the thread on tangent, just want to point out one thing, you repeatedly keep saying HKPF handled RIOTs very well and then done-to-death whataboutism of US but missing the other side of the coin, THE HONG KONG PEOPLE, nowhere on earth you would find such peaceful protests with millions walking on relatively narrow streets without single incident or even act of any aggression until things got worse (how and why, i leave it to you to research) and that is the major part of the reason why HKPF didnot kill at least 25 in riots as you keep showing.. Anyway, until you have that full picture clear in mind and have enough respect for HK People and their struggle, i am afraid gelling well in this society is going to be difficult..

I think its time to shut this one down before it turns into a riot of sorts ...

Honestly don't think an expat forum is the place to go to seek advice on joining the govt civil or disciplined services - given the barriers that are out there.

OP - Best of luck. Do what you feel is right for you and ignore the people who claim that you're selling your soul - we are all selling our souls if we're complaining and continue to remain here to milk the so called opportunities that are made better because of low taxes and free healthcare.