Like Tree33Likes

Seeking Employment Advice in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seeking Employment Advice in Hong Kong

Hello All,

I came here seeking your advice and wisdom.

I wanted to immigrate back to Hong Kong and had my sight set on the Police probationary Inspector role and have been training for it for the past (almost a) year. I failed the written portion of the Chinese test and the retest situation has gotten me pretty frustrated and I find myself needing a backup plan.

A little background about me. I'm born in Hong Kong but basically raised in Canada. I know how to read and write Chinese as I've had a little over two years of elementary school (grade 4-6) experiences in Hong Kong. I've also gone to University in China (Zhejiang) for a bit as an exchange student so I know Mandarin as well. I got a Business Administration Bachelor Degree from a school in Canada. I've been reading the Singtao news (every Hong Kong article) daily to help with understanding more about Hong Kong and to brush up on my Chinese. I have HK permanent resident status as well (for those wondering).

So I came here to ask about your own experience finding employment in different fields. Where would you recommend looking for jobs? My Aunties has recommended I go on jobsdb to look for jobs, but I find that they're mostly entry-level or over require 8+ years of experience.

I just took the June CRE and currently waiting for the results. Once it comes back I can look into government jobs as well. I was wondering if there were other recommendations and would love to hear your own experiences in finding employment in Hong Kong.

Personally, I don't mind working in any field. I just want a job that can support my lifestyle and allow me to save and travel. The reason I wanted the probationary inspector job was that it fit my ideals. It would've allowed me to continue to grow as well as being able to help others. I'm not worried about living accommodations and I live near an MTR line.
    I have HK permanent resident status.

Thank you for reading. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from you stuff like what companies I should avoid or which ones are pretty good etc.

Once again thank you and stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by lokinaoto:
    Hello All,

I came here seeking your advice and wisdom.

I wanted to immigrate back to Hong Kong and had my sight set on the Police probationary Inspector role and have been training for it for the past (almost a) year. I failed the written portion of the Chinese test and the retest situation has gotten me pretty frustrated and I find myself needing a backup plan.

A little background about me. I'm born in Hong Kong but basically raised in Canada. I know how to read and write Chinese as I've had a little over two years of elementary school (grade 4-6) experiences in Hong Kong. I've also gone to University in China (Zhejiang) for a bit as an exchange student so I know Mandarin as well. I got a Business Administration Bachelor Degree from a school in Canada. I've been reading the Singtao news (every Hong Kong article) daily to help with understanding more about Hong Kong and to brush up on my Chinese. I have HK permanent resident status as well (for those wondering).

So I came here to ask about your own experience finding employment in different fields. Where would you recommend looking for jobs? My Aunties has recommended I go on jobsdb to look for jobs, but I find that they're mostly entry-level or over require 8+ years of experience.

I just took the June CRE and currently waiting for the results. Once it comes back I can look into government jobs as well. I was wondering if there were other recommendations and would love to hear your own experiences in finding employment in Hong Kong.

Personally, I don't mind working in any field. I just want a job that can support my lifestyle and allow me to save and travel. The reason I wanted the probationary inspector job was that it fit my ideals. It would've allowed me to continue to grow as well as being able to help others. I'm not worried about living accommodations and I live near an MTR line.
    I have HK permanent resident status.

Thank you for reading. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from you stuff like what companies I should avoid or which ones are pretty good etc.

Once again thank you and stay safe!
    If you planned to join the police force, you are eligible to join any government job or company who kowtows to the motherland.

Ya, I don't care about the political beef and misguided hate you (or others) have for China. Please take it elsewhere.

Ya, I don't care about the political beef and misguided hate you (or others) have for China. Please take it elsewhere.
    If you can't face the truth about nature of the police force now, then you should take it elsewhere.
    rs4 and Plutark like this.

What true are you referring to? From my research they handle the riot admirably in 2019. I've met people from the force and they've all been nice and friendly. I have a childhood classmate that joined the Force and to me it seems like a swell job.

I don't understand the beef you have with the people safeguarding your safety but if you really hate it you're welcome to leave the country. I think Hong Kong is great and I don't mind immigrating back. I believe that is MY CHOICE. For all the crying about having no freedoms you sure like to infringe upon other's freedoms huh.

You mentioned supporting your lifestyle, numbers or preferences would help! Do you want to mingle on the weekends, or do you want to focus on your goal in a remote place?

Sounds like to me you can only go for the entry level jobs, which means less time to travel if you want to save, or travel a bit with no savings. Gotta pick one or the other. From what you said about your goal, I say don't bother thinking about travel right now (cause it is a shambles), put your head down and get the role you want.

I'm mostly a gamer so it's nothing extravagant. I like the proximity of Hong Kong to Japan verses Canada to Japan, so getting a job here and being able to visit more frequently is my goal. For reference it takes around 5 years of savings in Canada to do a Japan trip. The income taxes takes a big chunk from your pay cheque and saving for a house is pretty hard in both cities anyway.

As for the entry level jobs I do have experience as an executive assistance, receptionist etc roles. I have six years of experience as a table games dealer/supervisor before I decided to go back to school to complete my business degree. The school I graduated from is very hands on with the teaching so I can handle more experienced roles like data analysis, project management and business management stuff. I'm just having difficulties looking finding listings for these roles without the 3+ years of experience etc.

I would also like to hear from others and their experience. Especially about companies that are good to work for or avoid like the plague.

1. Come do the Police thing again
    2. If the above doesnt work out, look for other Govt jobs like Customs dept, correctional services etc etc

1st of get your arse to HK then look for a job, jobsdb maybe a waste of your time. Once you get here since you are technically a local, you wont find it hard to get a job to settle into 1st to help get some coin into your wallet.

Hkemail888 and Corrib like this.

A gamer, you mean like playing esports and egames at a competitive level?

What true are you referring to? From my research they handle the riot admirably in 2019. I've met people from the force and they've all been nice and friendly. I have a childhood classmate that joined the Force and to me it seems like a swell job.

I don't understand the beef you have with the people safeguarding your safety but if you really hate it you're welcome to leave the country. I think Hong Kong is great and I don't mind immigrating back. I believe that is MY CHOICE. For all the crying about having no freedoms you sure like to infringe upon other's freedoms huh.
    Partly thanks to the police force that you can't seem to view impartially, certain truths aren't allowed to be spoken these days. You'll fit right in.
    rs4 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast