Like Tree113Likes

Considering Hong Kong Move - Offer etc

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunnymove:
    Hi all,

Given the above I've done some searching and thinking of somewhere in the New Territories? Any advice on where there? Living on Ma Wan? The sea and mountain views are a big plus.
    I lived on Ma Wan for 3 years and loved it there. We have a 3 bed apartment (admittedly converted to 2 beds so one very large bedroom in HK terms) for $23000 so I would guess a normal 2 bed would be a bit less and possibly rents have gone done a little recently. I have seen flats there advertised around the 16-18K mark.

It is a quiet place (no cars allowed). Great views if you get a sea/mountain facing apartment. Ferry to Central takes 25mins and there are bus routes to Tsing Yi, Tsuen Wan and Kwai Fong - only 10- 15 mins and very regular so very well connected. A reasonable number of shops (inc Supermarket) and a dozen or so restaurants local and western.

Park Island estate includes 3 swimming pools and gyms. The island has several beaches.
    sunnymove likes this.

I´m using this discussion to jump in with my questions:
    How tricky is it to relocate to HK nowadays?
    Borders are closed for normal travellers, 2 weeks quarantine, but how to do when you get a job over there?

Just asking, as I could probably work in our office via internal transfer; could that work after the quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    The Philippines has often been banned (but I haven't kept up with that!) so if you have family in the Philippines, it may be difficult to travel back frequently to see them for the foreseeable future.

Hong Kong has a zero-tolerance approach for the virus. I know a handful of people who have had to serve 2 week quarantine in Penny Bay because they were a "close contact". That kind of pressure can really wear on you (if I go to this pilates class could I get locked up? Was nearly YES at one time! Who will take care of my plants and cats if I am locked up? Is it worth it to go to this BBQ?). Again, being single and without many responsibilities to others, it'll be easier for you to handle if you encounter any problems like this. But many of us here are feeling pretty demoralized now halfway through 2021...

Others have different experience with the language, so certainly try your best and see what you find in terms of teachers and experience! The app Memrise (free version) has a good Cantonese food vocab set. I'm able to order at restaurants from this! Check it out.
    Thanks for the frank response! Looks like it's better to sit it out a little bit here -- we're banned again anyway, until the foreseeable future... Will check out the Memrise app, thanks!

Original Post Deleted
    That´s what I want to hear, thank you very much!!!

Thanks! I'll check out Ma Wan, the bigger space and quiet is really tempting.

that is what i'm counting on! Hopefully six months from now it will be better.

On a 50k salary you can easily find a crummy old walk-up on the island somewhere. Just make sure the AC works well & you've got water pressure & all the other obvious. Who really cares. You're young & here to build your career & enjoy the nightlife (which cuts off at midnight now by the way). You won't be, or shouldn't be, spending a lot of time at home.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    On a 50k salary you can easily find a crummy old walk-up on the island somewhere. Just make sure the AC works well & you've got water pressure & all the other obvious. Who really cares. You're young & here to build your career & enjoy the nightlife (which cuts off at midnight now by the way). You won't be, or shouldn't be, spending a lot of time at home.
    I think you missed this bit....

OP said....

I'm not big on clubs and the nightlife
    Elegiaque, hike and sunnymove like this.

15k Rent on a 50k salary is 30% before tax income on rent. Which is reasonable if you ask me. And given the net income after rent is still above 30k, its still more than enough to enjoy a decent bachelor lifestyle. Technically, your net income is higher than most locals around 30.

Just keep the hooker and blow to a minimum

Edit: on a serious note

Try and find a place with convenient commute. Just because it is the same commute time, does not mean the experience is the same. Ie. waiting for a minibus in 35 degree weather or black rain is not fun.

Id suggest commuting via MTR since it is the most newbie friendly method. For best rent to size value with MTR in mind, I would suggest eastern HK island (ie. Sai wan ho all the way to Chai wan). The commute will be under 1 hour including walking and it is just one train line. Ive lived in eastern HK island and I loved it. Since you arent going to bars/clubs, Eastern island gives you easy/friendly work commute and reasonable rent value.

Last edited by D.YU; 02-08-2021 at 10:47 AM.
    alexdown and Cancellara like this.

Original Post Deleted
    21 days in Thailand was the option but I don't know about now given the new lockdown considerations. Everything's changing every week due to the new variant, so I don't mind having to stay in the Philippines until things ease up a little bit.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast