Like Tree113Likes

Considering Hong Kong Move - Offer etc

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Does that count as new territories? Ok, it's indeed north of Boundary street, but still south of the Lion rock...
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by anon_third_part:
    I wouldn't bother for 50k.

You'll struggle. You can find an apartment for 10-15k, it's not going to be that nice - very small or very grim, or both. Food is not that cheap here, and having a social life is expensive

As others have pointed out travel in and out of HK is going to be severely limited for the foreseeable future. That for me is the nail in the coffin for your dream move to HK.
    That is when you recognize the shit expats mindset. Median salary is 18k in HK. 50K is very easy to live on. Food is not expensive if you go to the wet market. You just have to stop buying that 120 hkd cheese in Fusion!

I get enough veggies for 100hk in the wet market for a week. Go to Tsuen Wan fish market you can buy 5-6 fishes for 150. The OP said he is not into night life which is where most of the expenses will come from.

For 15k you can get a very nice flat on Lantau. As long as you avoid the smug areas in HK Island!

I'm not being smug.... I shop in wet markets too, 759, 360 and only in uselect on a Tuesday! And live in Tung Chung! I do buy cheese, but generally when it's reduced or via cheese club!

Impressed your food bill is so low, $250 per week.

I'm just being realistic, and the median salary in HK really does suck, unless you are in public housing.

If you were a couple and both had jobs, might be ok.

TheBrit and sunnymove like this.

I'm not being smug.... I shop in wet markets too, 759, 360 and only in uselect on a Tuesday! And live in Tung Chung! I do buy cheese, but generally when it's reduced or via cheese club!

I'm just being realistic, and the median salary in HK really does suck, unless you are in public housing.

You're not being realistic. You're talking rubbish

When I arrived in HK just 10 years ago, I was on less salary and was also married with a kid. One salary but had a nice two bed in Olympic (18K) and was great. Okay, HK has gotten more expensive since then but 50k is still a good salary for a single person. I could list many new or relatively new complexes with pool and gym and good transport connections that this poster could get for 15k. He's hardly going to have to live in a cage apartment.

Original Post Deleted
    This is true! Looking at everyone's answers, I think 50k's doable. At the moment my lifestyle priorities are just enough food to cook and meal plan in a week (so thanks everyone for any input on food prices!), have some money to eat out once in a while, learn Mandarin, have a good career stepping stone (HK is a good one for this), an aerial studio which is my big expense i think at around HKD 2500 for 8 weeks, and a bright, quiet apartment of about 35-40sqm (380-450 sqft away from the city centre) which I expect to be the biggest challenge here. Sorry I'm not more interesting in that regard! Enough time spent in bars in my 20s and a GP warning has led me to pretty much giving up alcohol, ha. Sounds okay? I guess?
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    You're not being realistic. You're talking rubbish

When I arrived in HK just 10 years ago, I was on less salary and was also married with a kid. One salary but had a nice two bed in Olympic (18K) and was great. Okay, HK has gotten more expensive since then but 50k is still a good salary for a single person. I could list many new or relatively new complexes with pool and gym and good transport connections that this poster could get for 15k. He's hardly going to have to live in a cage apartment.
    OP's happy to hear whatever recommendations you've got!
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnymove:
    This is true! Looking at everyone's answers, I think 50k's doable. At the moment my lifestyle priorities are just enough food to cook and meal plan in a week (so thanks everyone for any input on food prices!), have some money to eat out once in a while, learn Mandarin, have a good career stepping stone (HK is a good one for this), an aerial studio which is my big expense i think at around HKD 2500 for 8 weeks, and a bright, quiet apartment of about 35-40sqm (380-450 sqft away from the city centre) which I expect to be the biggest challenge here. Sorry I'm not more interesting in that regard! Enough time spent in bars in my 20s and a GP warning has led me to pretty much giving up alcohol, ha. Sounds okay? I guess?
    That's the attitude to take, that is a pretty good salary to start off with as Hong Kong is a place where you could earn quite a bit more than that & especially as an expat the doors really open up after a few more years experience.

I came to HK around 8 years ago, didn't have a job so I accepted an offer less than 20k/month & now 8 years later I'm earning more than 4x that amount. So if you come here with the right attitude, you can really go far
    sunnymove likes this.

50k is more than do-able. I was on less than that when I first arrived in HK (rents were lower but so was my salary). I was able to rent a small 2 bed in Mid-Levels and sub-let the second bedroom which made my rent (and all the bills) quite affordable. My career (and my earnings) progressed rapidly here, however even before that I was able to live a comfortable lifestyle that included travel, saving money, and nightlife in Soho and LKF. (I'm not a big drinker, which is what makes nights out expensive. But if you do like to drink more, what lots of younger people do is party at Club 7-11...)

sunnymove likes this.

I'm surprised that there seems to be a consensus amongst some that you can't live on 50k a month as a single guy in HK.

Plutark likes this.

in Fu Tung, there is a meat stand in the corner, you can get a whole bag of chicken thigh for 68hkd (organic). Then get veggies, eggs etc... you can prep enough meal to last you through the week. Head to Tsuen Wan fish market, a sea bass cost around 30hkd if you know where to get them. Honestly it is very easy to eat for cheap and healthy as long as you are careful of what you eat. There are also a few indian shops where you can buy food for cheap in TC.

so let's say you want to splash on food and cook at home it will be 500 hkd per week, so roughly 2k, I mean we can even make it to 4k at that point. Then get a two beddies in Caribbean Coast for 14k, add 1k bills, that's like 19k altogether, transport will be around 500-100, so with 50k you have 30k left.

Now, if you go eat out and drink etc... you can easily spend all that. You don't even need a gym here, the hikes are hardcore enough you can get all your cardio for free, do the stream hikes and you get your upper body done too.

I'm on less than that since I'm running a business so it's hit and miss. With two kids and I am fine budget wise.
    sunnymove, hullexile and Milocate like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast