Like Tree212Likes

HK quarantine hotels

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Always amazing to see the self importance that some expats give themselves... Tiny insignificant drop in the bucket and thinking that the government makes policy because of them...
    Always amazed to see your thoughtful posts relating quarantine requirements back to expats who supposedly can’t travel.

Why do you think this affects only the expats living in China?

There are close to 50 million Chinese living overseas, a substantial number of these (including my wife) are effectively cut off from visiting their relatives in China or go back on business thanks to the length of the quarantine requirements. I know a few Chinese couples in Portugal who decided to move back to China for the next couple of years simply because they otherwise would loose their businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Always amazed to see your thoughtful posts relating quarantine requirements back to expats who supposedly can’t travel.

Why do you think this affects only the expats living in China?

There are close to 50 million Chinese living overseas, a substantial number of these (including my wife) are effectively cut off from visiting their relatives in China or go back on business thanks to the length of the quarantine requirements. I know a few Chinese couples in Portugal who decided to move back to China for the next couple of years simply because they otherwise would loose their businesses.
    What are you going on about? There's a bunch of people here who seem to think that the quarantine policy is out to get expats... I'm saying it's ridiculous and that the government doesn't care about a tiny insignificant majority and you respond with something completely unrelated. Get a grip...

And yes in pure numbers, I have no doubt that quarantine affect more locals than the insignificant expat minority. They just happen to be the whining majority here

What are you going on about?They just happen to be the whining majority here
    Strange that expats are the majority complaining here …. Oh wait … it is a forum for expats.

Now I agree, I am sure the policy is not here to target expats… the policy is here to isolate Chinese people from the world to enable Xi to enact on his agenda.
    HKFella likes this.

Always amazing to see the self importance that some expats give themselves... Tiny insignificant drop in the bucket and thinking that the government makes policy because of them...

It's in fact the opposite, the policy is made for local people and the fact that expats are more inconvenienced is irrelevant because the government doesn't care about you. Mercenaries are easily replaced once the money starts flowing again and it won't matter one bit that some left.
    Can you inform us about any policies the HK govt has made out of the consideration for local people? Not that long ago 2 million local people took to the streets peacefully, and won elections by an overwhelming majority. They were ignored and labelled criminals instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Strange that expats are the majority complaining here …. Oh wait … it is a forum for expats.

Now I agree, I am sure the policy is not here to target expats… the policy is here to isolate Chinese people from the world to enable Xi to enact on his agenda.
    Controlling expats is merely the flip-side of controlling Chinese, they are both targets. The number one objective is control, and making China more Chinese is a big part of that.

Much like the ethnic watering down in Tibet, Xinjiang and historically in the non-han provences.

The fact that Aramis refuses to acknowledge this only proves how big the chip on his shoulder really is.
    Edwardstorm, Gatts and kittykaitak like this.

It's in fact the opposite, the policy is made for local people and the fact that expats are more inconvenienced is irrelevant because the government doesn't care about you. Mercenaries are easily replaced once the money starts flowing again and it won't matter one bit that some left.
    Number of visitors to HK in 2019 was 55 million.

Killing all of that tourism & business travel may be a bit of an' inconvenience' for locals. Hotels, airlines, a number of retail outlets, etc. are dying & unemployment figures are through the roof.

That may not suit your narrative though.
    Edwardstorm, Sage, Gatts and 2 others like this.

The one way valve is anyone leaving HK- given that expats are the minority, it is obvious that the majority of people affected are locals! The middle class of HK travel as much or more than the expats here. The locals who disagree with the changes are leaving- the one-way valve is working. These controls are are crushing the life out of our wonderful city. The measures being taken are not for disease control but for population control. You probably haven't noticed as you are on the side of the valve-controllers.
    Coolboy, Sage, drumbrake and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    The one way valve is anyone leaving HK- given that expats are the minority, it is obvious that the majority of people affected are locals! The middle class of HK travel as much or more than the expats here. The locals who disagree with the changes are leaving- the one-way valve is working. These controls are are crushing the life out of our wonderful city. The measures being taken are not for disease control but for population control. You probably haven't noticed as you are on the side of the valve-controllers.
    Reminds of that frog-slowly-being-boiled-analogy. Except instead of a slow and gradual turning up of temperature, we got a sudden and very noticeable temperature increase for the frogs in HK with the NSL. Yes, the temperature is still far from boiling. But it has taken a big direction towards that. The frogs that notice this jump in temperature are heading for the exits. Those who haven't...or can't jump out of the pot either are unaware of the rise in temperture/think it won't boil them or unable to jump out.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 03-10-2021 at 10:15 PM.
    kittykaitak likes this.

What are you going on about? There's a bunch of people here who seem to think that the quarantine policy is out to get expats... I'm saying it's ridiculous and that the government doesn't care about a tiny insignificant majority and you respond with something completely unrelated. Get a grip...

And yes in pure numbers, I have no doubt that quarantine affect more locals than the insignificant expat minority. They just happen to be the whining majority here
    You need to stop spending time on an expat website if you don’t want to hear expats’ opinions. This is a problem you can solve quite easily.

You’re right, local people don’t whine much. They just send you an email saying they’re moving abroad.
    traineeinvestor and HKFella like this.

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15