Like Tree23Likes

Job Help for 7PQE NZ Lawyer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Job Help for 7PQE NZ Lawyer

Hi there,

We are a kiwi couple planning to relocate to HK in January 2022. My partner has a role and is fully sponsored, all relocation, quarantine costs covered etc.

I believe I am entitled to work on their visa as a dependant, and would not need any other relo or sponsorship support.

However we are struggling to find a legal role (ideally litigation but open to anything) despite excellent experience.

We've heard there may be an 'exodus' of expat lawyers from HK in Jan/Feb Chinese New Year time, and that is a common time for people to move around.

We are desperate to secure something certain before moving and 'winging it' - but do you think we have good chances to find a role for an NZ Qualified lawyer (not Mandarin speaking) in January?

Grateful for any advice, and equally any contacts/recruiters people here may know of that could introduce us for a video chat?

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisachin:
    Hi there,

We are a kiwi couple planning to relocate to HK in January 2022. My partner has a role and is fully sponsored, all relocation, quarantine costs covered etc.

I believe I am entitled to work on their visa as a dependant, and would not need any other relo or sponsorship support.

However we are struggling to find a legal role (ideally litigation but open to anything) despite excellent experience.

We've heard there may be an 'exodus' of expat lawyers from HK in Jan/Feb Chinese New Year time, and that is a common time for people to move around.

We are desperate to secure something certain before moving and 'winging it' - but do you think we have good chances to find a role for an NZ Qualified lawyer (not Mandarin speaking) in January?

Grateful for any advice, and equally any contacts/recruiters people here may know of that could introduce us for a video chat?

Thank you so much!
    You'll be fine. Though it is much easier to get roles once you're already in town and can interview in person, HK has always been that way.

Your 7 PQE, will be discounted to 5 PQE for NZ lawyers (no articling period in NZ). If your speciality is civil litigation (insolvency/shareholder disputes ect) then you might have a good chance finding a role within an offshore firm or one of the speciality insolvency law firms. Will be easier to put out feelers when you are on the ground, but no harm trying closer to when you arrive.

offshore may be the way to go.

thanks for all the replies so far - really hoping there may be a user in here who could facilitate an intro/video chat for us if possible - so far dealing with faceless applications and the odd recruiter is proving a challenge.

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisachin:
    thanks for all the replies so far - really hoping there may be a user in here who could facilitate an intro/video chat for us if possible - so far dealing with faceless applications and the odd recruiter is proving a challenge.

thanks again!
    Your best bet is another lawyer. Anyone you know who moved here? Contacts in Australian firms in particular may value your expertise? I would just google all the offices of international lawyers and search your linkedin for any contacts and start from there. You may want to join one of the chambers - no idea if NZ has one, I joined AustCham. Everything is online these day so you can "come" to meetings before you arrive. Ditto any webinars run by local lawyers. This kind of soft networking is a good start.
    kiwisachin likes this.

"We are a kiwi couple planning to relocate to HK in January 2022. My partner has a role and is fully sponsored, all relocation, quarantine costs covered etc.

I believe I am entitled to work on their visa as a dependant, and would not need any other relo or sponsorship support."

Are you legally married to your partner? I was under the impression that in HK a Dependent Visa would only be issued to the legally-recognized husband/wife of someone who has a valid Work Visa. That certainly used to be the case but perhaps someone who is more up to date with HK immigration rules could comment.

Good luck!

You should also look into getting admitted in HK. It will take time (and is not as simple as it used to be) but will open up more opportunities for you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast