Like Tree42Likes

Considering Secondment to Hong Kong from Singapore

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Considering Secondment to Hong Kong from Singapore

Company has offered to second me in HK regional HQ for a short period (6 months - 12 months timeframe). First move so looking to get a sense of the relocating costs to figure out if the short-term overseas posting is worthwhile. Company potentially covering 1 month of service apartment and flights to HK.

I intend to rent a service apartment near Taikoo / Tin Hau. Am I correct to understand that rental is around 15 - 20 HKD / month?
    Food/utilities prices are broadly similar to Singapore.

Quarantine in HK around 15k HKD.

I have around 3-4 boxes of things to ship from Singapore to HK (and vice versa) - electronics, clothes, bags, shoes, makeup etc. How much would this cost?

Any advice appreciated.

Are you coming alone or with family?

20k will get you a reasonable studio on HK island (where Tin Hau and Tai Koo are).

Quarantine can be as expensive as you like it. It's probably best to budget 20-30k for a more comfortable experience. If you are coming with family expect to pay more.

You're probably going to get a lot of negativity but I think if you plan to come here for around a year with a plan for returning home, you can have a great experience.

Demand that they pay your apartment and relocation expenses.

huja likes this.

I assume you are alone, so a studio is enough..your price range is ok for taikoo, but a proper tenancy is 1year. budget a bit more if you want a serviced apartment (shorter, more flexible). If you get a serviced one you won't need to pay utilities..they're usually included.

Food price is similar to SG but eating out (in normal restaurants, not food centers) is cheaper than SG.

If it's short term probably not worth shipping stuff in boxes .. I'd pack two/3 suitcases and take them on your flight out with you.

shri likes this.

Thanks all! Yup I will be alone. Will it be difficult to handle 2-3 suitcases, with quarantine etc? I intend to stay in a service apartment for the first month, and will most likely stay in service apartments for the rest of the term.

The problem could be where to put the 2-3 suitcases when in quarantine. Quarantine hotel rooms are often small. Make sure you book a bigger one ( and get your company to pay).

My company isn't paying for any quarantine or relocation costs except maybe 1 month of service apartment, so everything is out of my own pocket. How much would rental be realistically 20-25k HKD for service apartments?

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowtata:
    My company isn't paying for any quarantine or relocation costs except maybe 1 month of service apartment, so everything is out of my own pocket. How much would rental be realistically 20-25k HKD for service apartments?
    That should be fine. You won't get a huge or luxurious place for that price, but you can still get something quite nice.
    alexdown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowtata:
    not looking good. how much higher are they paying you here than back there, for what is essentially a 6 to 12 month prison sentence? or is it for the “experience”?

Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:
    essentially a 6 to 12 month prison sentence?
    ...the OP is coming from Singapore...
    aw451 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast