Like Tree52Likes

previous salary confidentiality

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

previous salary confidentiality

Are Hong Kong companies legally allowed to disclose a past employee's salary to a company that employee might be about to join?

I know companies like to confirm dates of employment but are they allowed to ask for past salary?

I'm thinking about starting a job search but I definitely don't want to get restricted by the typical "10 to 20%" salary increment that Hong Kong companies like to offer. So I'm considering two routes and I'd like to understand what's better:

1. Be less than fully accurate about my past salary to my potential employers under the assumption that they can't figure out my past salary. Another thing to consider here is that not being legally allowed doesn't mean they can't ask. And if I refuse to furnish salary slips after disclosing my salary, what kind of signal does that send to them about me as a candidate.

2. Refuse to share past salary details from the very beginning

Last edited by hhku; 20-04-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Most companies will require you to provide salary proof. Whether its right off the bat or at the time of signing the contract.

So "lying" about your past salary is a big no. You can refuse to provide your salary until the hiring process is nearing completion. And you can state your expected salary early on in the application process.

If you are applying through a headhunter/agency, dont give them your salary information. As headhunters/agents are here for your best interest lol. You can tell them to fuck off if they insist.

how can I escape the '10 to 20%' straitjacket then? I started from a crappy salary but that shouldn't be allowed to affect all future income because of Hong Kong employers' arbitrary limits

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Most companies will require you to provide salary proof.
    Really? Never heard of that.
    BCD and Gatts like this.

I always thought salaries on new hires were based on factors such as expected salary provided during application, existing salary bands, and things like years of experience in industry / whether have in-demand skills.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I always thought salaries on new hires were based on factors such as expected salary provided during application, existing salary bands, and things like years of experience in industry / whether have in-demand skills.
    True, these are all factors, but sadly the OP is right. The biggest factor is relative change to current comp. And even more sadly, 20% often seems like a hard upper cap. So if you weren't greedy at the start of career, you might be underpaid for a big part of your career.

I see other opportunity for OP: Try to get yourself more than one offer. As soon as there is somebody else that made you an offer, the other potential employer is willing to top that up again.
    The timing couldn't be better for that. A lot of talent left HK and companies are desperate to fill that gap.
    Now is the time for us candidates to be greedy and take advantage of desparate rich companies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Yep it is real unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Quite common in more local companies. Some also put the final salary in the reference letter. It helps keep salaries low.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Quite common in more local companies. Some also put the final salary in the reference letter. It helps keep salaries low.
    What fuckery.
    aw451 and calmathetic9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    Yep it is real unfortunately.
    He's an English as a foreign language teacher (and subsequent move-to-Japan charisma man) - just ignore him

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast