• 5 Post By Cheeky Kiwi
  • 1 Post By aw451
  • 3 Post By bdw
  • 3 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By traineeinvestor

Returning to HK very soon

Closed Thread

Returning to HK very soon

So I will be returning to hk very soon with my approved employment visa. However I come to realize from my friends that my hk number has expired as the contract has expired while I was not in hk (for almost 2 years). I have 2 questions:

1. WhatsApp will my WhatsApp still work even if my current hk number expires? They told me it expired 17th of may but it still seems to work my WhatsApp so idk what's going on.

2. will my bank account (Hsbc hk) be frozen because my hk number has expired?

3. my friends tell me when I arrive at the hk airport I need like this one time password verification, how will I do that if I don't have any hk phone number and deactivated my home country's phone number upon leaving for hk? can I just give them my friends phone number in hk and he will send me the otp to me through wifi and verify it that way?

I would appreciate the clarification on these confusions I have atm. thank you !

Yes

No

Too lazy to look it up for you

Crankshaft, aw451, Mary 2 and 2 others like this.

3. Bring a prepaid SIM. Best not to come to HK, a very mobile centric city, when you have no mobile phone number.

Bonus points for giving HSBC this number before you arrive to make your life easier.

HumphreyResort likes this.

Worth's saying that most mobile contracts in HK renew automatically...rather than "expire". Prepaid SIMs "expire" (e.g if no topup or used within a certain period of time).

Upon expiring a salesperson usually calls you proposing whatever the latest offer/bundle is (usually more expensive, so a negotiation to understand what the cheapest option is ensue..)

So if you had a contract, as you wrote, worth checking that it hasn't indeed auto-renewed.

We need a OTP now when we re-enter? What for... I don't rem this. Sorry its been a while since I've left the country...

@HumphreyResort - don't reset your phone/do anything that would reinstalling Whatsapp/sign back in cos phone not working anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    We need a OTP now when we re-enter? What for... I don't rem this. Sorry its been a while since I've left the country...

@HumphreyResort - don't reset your phone/do anything that would reinstalling Whatsapp/sign back in cos phone not working anymore.
    You don't need an otp to enter. However they need a local verifiable number so chp can call you if needed. Verified whne you get off the flight by some old aunty type who calls you.

An otp would actually be modern!

For #3, try the HK Quarantine Support Group on Facebook. They're on top of most "coming to HK" questions.

MABinPengChau and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyResort:

1. WhatsApp will my WhatsApp still work even if my current hk number expires? They told me it expired 17th of may but it still seems to work my WhatsApp so idk what's going on.
    WhatsApp only needs your number if they send you a verification code - of course someone else can verify as you after the number gets reassigned.

If you are no longer the owner of your HK number, you can keep using whatsapp with this number as long as you never change phones, and your number is not recycled and given to someone else. If you change phones, install whatsapp on new phone, you need to get a OTP SMS to that number to confirm you are owner of the number, so then you will be screwed. Or if some new person in HK gets your number, they install whatsapp on their phone, all of a sudden you will be locked out of your whatsapp and its gone forever with no advanced notice. So its quite a risky move if you keep using it when you are no longer the owner of the number.