Like Tree6Likes

Moving to New York from HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to New York from HK

We are contemplating a move from HK to New York and were wondering if someone here has any idea/ experience with moving domestic helpers over with them - questions are around wages and immigration. Please PM me if you are happy to answer a few questions around this

Priyad likes this.

Does she have valid working visa? And are you willing to pay at least the minimum wage plus OT? If not, forget about it.

chuckster007 likes this.

She doesn't have anything right now - We will have to apply for it.

On wages - what would it be - I see $15 an hour but unable to ascertain hours?

$15/hr x 8-hr per day = USD120/day x 26-days = USD3,120/month = HKD24,336/month

This wouldn't be equivalent given the helper doesn't need to live in and you don't need to pay meals etc.

Doesn't seem financially make sense in the long run like.

bigbeluga likes this.

bigbeluga likes this.

Your crazy to thinking of taking a helper which is cheap in HK to US, some tried to see if it was feasable to take back to UK but the UK only allows for 6 months Max.

US govt will look at your application with a fine tooth comb and it will take a long long time for approval if any and beware that some people as soon as they arrive in US, after a few days may disappear from your home

FREEEDOM!!!!

I remember I was getting 1.5x for the OT when I was a teen.

Quote Originally Posted by redslert:
    $15/hr x 8-hr per day = USD120/day x 26-days = USD3,120/month = HKD24,336/month

This wouldn't be equivalent given the helper doesn't need to live in and you don't need to pay meals etc.

Doesn't seem financially make sense in the long run like.
    Your helper won't be able to afford to live outside of your home bringing in $3,120/month pretax. The economics of having a helper in NYC are nothing like in HK or Singapore.

You can only bring your helper if you intend to live in the US temporarily and have your company certify that your job requires you to be regularly posted overseas. Must pay minimum wage or prevailing wage (whichever is higher) AND provide free food and board, for an 8 hour work day. Your helper must prove they have economic and social ties back home, ensuring they will leave the US in the future.
    Green card holders aren't allowed to bring a domestic helper.

biffski and hike like this.

Curiously there is a phenomenon in NY called the Classic 6, which is a large apartment in a very old-established building which has a separate, - usually tiny - room (often in the attic) apart from the flat itself for domestic helpers. But you need a really good real estate broker if you want to try that route because they are a bit off the beaten path and most brokers aren't used to dealing with numbers of Classic 6 apartments.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast