Like Tree30Likes

Tips/Advice? Looking for a job in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

On a sidenote, watch out for this in today's policy address.. Even if you don't qualify, i would guess there might be some instruction to ImmD to relax rules on case by case basis to attract foreign talents, Bottomline HK Govt is desperate for people like you (Foreigner/Young/Educated/FinTech or Tech related etc).

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

vmlinuz and DanisB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanisB:
    Thanks for the confidence boost. And yes I have been to Hong Kong twice in the past five years, I love the city.
    Just be aware that Hong Kong has changed a lot due to what has been done to it the past 3+ years, it's probably a big contrast to the city you loved 5 years ago.
    markranson, DanisB and rs4 like this.

It will be hard to find a job if you're not in HK. Most recruiters in HK are newbies with no industry knowledge, usually they're people who could not get a proper job anywhere else. They're like cannon fodder and have 3 months to close a deal or they get the sack, so they will not even entertain you if you are not there.

That said, now that many expats left there are way more job openings for people with the right qualifications and a squeeze on the supply. Aim for bigger companies as they're more able to get you a work visa. Be careful with the startup industry in HK, it's full of delusional CEOs coming from rich families so the work culture is all messed up. Just my two cents!

DanisB likes this.

The Belgian Consulate is currently hiring for a role for "accounting, social media & consular affairs", although they say they will not sponsor Visa. PM me, i can share the relevant details.

emx and DanisB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    It might sound cold, but you may want to consider getting married - private civil ceremony, can probably get a simply pre-nup to make it safer if needed - first, in which case you would be able to get a dependent visa and wouldn't need your own work visa. That would make finding a job significantly easier...
    I don't think a young European man in his mid-20s will get married just so he can get a dependent visa to work. Getting a new girlfriend is much easier...

Also, I don't see how digital marketing skills are in demand here, and given Hong Kong's current direction, why hire someone who doesn't speak Chinese and has no local experience?
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpaochicken:
    I don't think a young European man in his mid-20s will get married just so he can get a dependent visa to work. Getting a new girlfriend is much easier...

Also, I don't see how digital marketing skills are in demand here, and given Hong Kong's current direction, why hire someone who doesn't speak Chinese and has no local experience?
    If he is prepared to travel with her to the other side of the world for her career opportunities there is already a very strong commitment, European or not.
    vmlinuz, DanisB and Beanieskis like this.

Our fearless leader has said a bucket load of money will be spent marketing HK firms and products overseas. And they will go trawling the overseas markets for talent...

Might be possible to slide in ...
    DanisB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    It will be hard to find a job if you're not in HK. Most recruiters in HK are newbies with no industry knowledge, usually they're people who could not get a proper job anywhere else. They're like cannon fodder and have 3 months to close a deal or they get the sack, so they will not even entertain you if you are not there.

That said, now that many expats left there are way more job openings for people with the right qualifications and a squeeze on the supply. Aim for bigger companies as they're more able to get you a work visa. Be careful with the startup industry in HK, it's full of delusional CEOs coming from rich families so the work culture is all messed up. Just my two cents!
    thanks a lot! Its a insightful one

Its not that i don’t want to get married, but we are both religious, so it’s rather difficult for us to mentally cope with the thought of getting married for visa.

Quote Originally Posted by DanisB:
    Its not that i don’t want to get married, but we are both religious, so it’s rather difficult for us to mentally cope with the thought of getting married for visa.
    I wouldn't get married for the visa, but if it was just a case of bringing it forward ....
    DanisB and vmlinuz like this.