Like Tree30Likes

Tips/Advice? Looking for a job in HK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red face Tips/Advice? Looking for a job in HK

Hi expats, I’m a Belgian looking for job opportunities in Hong Kong. I would appreciate some advice when it comes to getting job offers and the work visa.

My partner is from HK and we currently live together in Belgium. We are both in our mid 20’s and we’re not married. She has recently received a job offer in HK with good remuneration, so we are considering relocation to HK. The problem is, I don’t know if I’d have a good chance finding a job there, and i don’t want to quit my current job before I know i will have one in HK. I have a Masters degree in BM and I have been working at a bank as a digital marketing manager for three years. I’m not really in finance, so I don’t know if my skills and profile are that demanded in HK, that employers would go through all the trouble to sponsor a work visa for me instead of just hiring a local.

Let’s say separation is not an option, how should I get started with the job search (my partner starts her new job in January)? Do I meet the requirements to land a proper job in HK? I’m looking for offers that pays at least the same amount I get paid in Belgium, around HKD 38,000 gross.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Well worth a shot... banks or insurance companies would be the obvious place to look. It's always going to be much easier if you're on the ground over here, but talent is so thin on the ground in many sectors that I think you've got a reasonable shot even over zoom, especially if your cv and application talks up connections with HK. Have you been over here lately?

DanisB likes this.

The skills you have are in demand, local companies will require Chinese language but there are lots of regional roles that don’t.

digital marketing with finance experience would give you a route in to insurers and banks all of which are looking for these types of skills, normally best route in would be via a recruiter most big companies have on retainer.

Visa wise if you are married you can come as a spouse and then look for a job, if not married options are come as tourist and try to find a job or you could consider a university course at first if you could afford.

qualification for a visa is more around not local talent to fill the role, there is a minimum level of earning but this wouldn’t be an issue for the type of roles.

DanisB likes this.

Thanks for the confidence boost. And yes I have been to Hong Kong twice in the past five years, I love the city. But I don’t really have experience related to Asia to put on my CV.

Thanks for the reply! It really is good news for me. I have reached out to recruiters from Hays and MP on Linkedin, but they still haven’t accepted my invite to connect, my gf says recruiters in HK have a reputation of ghosting people lol.

Eva C likes this.

Axa are having difficulty recruiting locally, they are reaching out to people in Singapore and Malaysia to fill vacancies. Suggest you try them

DanisB likes this.

It might sound cold, but you may want to consider getting married - private civil ceremony, can probably get a simply pre-nup to make it safer if needed - first, in which case you would be able to get a dependent visa and wouldn't need your own work visa. That would make finding a job significantly easier...

emx, AliT, hullexile and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanisB:
    Thanks for the reply! It really is good news for me. I have reached out to recruiters from Hays and MP on Linkedin, but they still haven’t accepted my invite to connect, my gf says recruiters in HK have a reputation of ghosting people lol.
    Probably true if you're doing it via Linkedin😅 don't wait for accept, go to their website and usually there will be a submit cv thing - just send in your copy. Someone should ring you within a week. There are a few other reputable bigger recruiters like Hays too. Gd luck💪
    DanisB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    It might sound cold, but you may want to consider getting married - private civil ceremony, can probably get a simply pre-nup to make it safer if needed - first, in which case you would be able to get a dependent visa and wouldn't need your own work visa. That would make finding a job significantly easier...
    Romance is dead.
    DanisB likes this.

Check Efinancialcareers.com

DanisB likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast