Open a bank account?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Open a bank account?

Hi guys and gals. I'm moving to Hong Kong on 2/16/2009, and I have been doing a lot of preparations and plannings. From those who moved to Hong Kong, how did you guys open a bank account when you first arrived? How did you guys get around with withdrawing $?
    Share your experience! Thanks

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I think you'll find banks in Hong Kong pretty much work the same way as in other countries. To open an account, take money and ID, fill in the forms. To withdraw, you can use the teller, ATM machines, etc. Is this very different to what you are used to?

Quote Original Post:
    Hi guys and gals. I'm moving to Hong Kong on 2/16/2009, and I have been doing a lot of preparations and plannings. From those who moved to Hong Kong, how did you guys open a bank account when you first arrived? How did you guys get around with withdrawing $?
    Share your experience! Thanks
    Go to the bank...Take your passport and proof of address...

Proof of address. My address in Hong Kong? Well, I have to at least wait a month or two to get a bill like utility, no?

Quote Original Post:
    Proof of address. My address in Hong Kong? Well, I have to at least wait a month or two to get a bill like utility, no?
    Your lease contract (assuming you are renting somewhere) will do. I think they wanted to see my employment contract as well.

Employment contract. I will most likely move back without a job. Oh well...........

Quote Original Post:
    Employment contract. I will most likely move back without a job. Oh well...........
    Where are you moving from? We set up our HK HSBC account from the UK. Already had our cards and whatnot by the time we arrived. Then just got the pins sent to the branch near our serviced apartment

if you just need a basic account then you can rock up with your passport and proof of address (not HK) a few $$ and you can open an account

Yup just a basic account. I spoke with my friend in HK. She said the same thing. Just bring my passport and proof of address in New York to open an account. However, the bank she told me isn't the one that I want. I want to open HSBC, but I believe they require proof of address in HK. I have a HSBC account in New York already; not sure if that's going to help.

Quote Original Post:
    Yup just a basic account. I spoke with my friend in HK. She said the same thing. Just bring my passport and proof of address in New York to open an account. However, the bank she told me isn't the one that I want. I want to open HSBC, but I believe they require proof of address in HK. I have a HSBC account in New York already; not sure if that's going to help.
    Yes that should help. They can set it up for you from NY.

http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/interna...ces/relocation
    Last edited by limepickle; 16-12-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast