Like Tree29Likes

Laid off from job. Want to teach English now.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Is it common for the tutorial centres to employ people with no qualifications or experience?
    Someone has to ..

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    You can get a TEFL within a day or two easily. All the courses are the same, don't fork out for them. I did mine from TeflAcademy, but I can say most employers don't care where it comes from, it matters on the hours of the course (example 100, or 120). But a TEFL is just for a VISA really.

Since you don't need a VISA, you should be able to get in the door fairly easily because you do not need to get a sponsor. That saying, you shouldn't go straight for a school job but a lot of tutorial centres are hiring right now. It is the quiet part of the year, but you should be able to find something!
    Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do a 100 hr course in a day or two?

Is it common for the tutorial centres to employ people with no qualifications or experience?
    Nowadays very common.

To my understanding, a bachelors degree and a TEFL is what is needed to get a VISA. Tutorial centres are entry jobs, you don't need experience for it. With the lack of supply of new teachers coming in recently, and the factor of not needing a VISA, puts the guy in a good position.

All is needed is a bachelors degree in a native English speaking country.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do a 100 hr course in a day or two?
    It is how it is advertised. A lot of it is common knowledge. The majority of TEFL/TESOL courses are multiple choice and the units can be skimmed through in an hour (with an average of 10-12 units in total).

Though there is no real point of getting any that advertises a higher study duration. Employers in tutorial centres don't really care for it and it is useless in a school setting.
    Crankshaft and shri like this.

A lot depends on whether OP actually wants to teach English or to work in a language centre. There's a world of difference!

hullexile, shri, Elegiaque and 1 others like this.

Thanks for the advice everyone. For me getting the TEFL is preferable as I would like to know what I'm doing and not scamming any kids by giving sub par lessons. It seems language centres are also the easiest way for me to get my foot in the door. If no experience than I guess an interview would probably be focusing a lot more on how I'd apply what I learnt on TEFL to a class?

There are quite a lot of teaching jobs, mostly for learning centres for children, on JobsDB at https://hk.jobsdb.com/hk. The salaries for full-time posts are in the low twenty-thousands, and they take their pound of flesh.

The Trinity CertTESOL course is tough, and there are a meaningful selection interview and test.

I agree with the earlier post, you are ripping off clients if you don't know what you are doing. An online TEFL course is a good starter, though.

If you make it through such a course and have practised somewhere, somehow, you could apply to HKU SPACE for part-time teaching (where a fistful of courses add up to a full salary), and you don't have to teach English. Look at their range of courses, and apply to teach what you already know and are good at.

hullexile and Elegiaque like this.

Did you manage to find a teaching job? Kind of in the same situation. Just completed an online tefl and looking for appropriate jobs with no previous teaching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Geebet:
    Did you manage to find a teaching job? Kind of in the same situation. Just completed an online tefl and looking for appropriate jobs with no previous teaching experience.

No I'm actually interviewing for roles for my previous career path and am close to getting a job offer, so I probably won't need to do teaching. The job market has picked up again since Hong Kong re-opened. Well at least in my industry.

I've done 80% of the TEFL course I bought and I'll probably complete it anyway as I've already paid money for it, and you never know, I may need to utilise it in the future if the same situation occurs again.
    Chekki, shri, Geebet and 3 others like this.

Absolutely not if they're registered with the EDB.
    hullexile likes this.