Like many people I was laid off from work due to my company not doing well in this economic environment. I was working in a marketing role for a tech company. The job market is currently very tough and I haven't had many interviews. I can foresee this tough job market lasting until mid 2023 or even longer.
Anyway I have a decent severance package to keep me going for a few more months as well as savings, but I was thinking of teaching English in the mean time to at least have some money coming in. I know it won't come close to the salary I was on at the tech company I was at, but some money coming in is better than no money coming in. It's also something that will keep me busy, and another learning experience for me.
How hard would it be for me to get an English teaching job? My background:
- Native British English speaker (I'm from the UK)
- I have Hong Kong permanent residence (my parents are from Hong Kong)
- Zero experience in teaching.
- I don't have TEFL or any teaching qualifications but I'm looking to do the TEFL course.
- I've been living in Hong Kong for eight years and all the jobs I've done have been in marketing (not sure whether this makes any difference in the advice I'll be given).