Like Tree65Likes

Cost Of Helper

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

@Beanskis As you mentioned earlier, helpers aren’t only looking for money. We are very aware that we are incredibly fortunate to have a great helper who chose us over several other families who she interviewed with.

All of the recommended helpers we met said the same: no need to offer more than 5k for a first contract. That said, we’ll certainly give our helper a raise, and we’re generous with bonuses.

Why is it foolish to pay well?

Like you are smart if you try to pay a human being taking care of your household 6 days a week, the minimum possible?

Maybe the generous deal with a low salary means she has lots of free time to take up part time work and the poster doesn't realize.

hullexile likes this.

Honestly I think helpers are mostly looking for money, why stay separated from your kids and other family if not for the money? I think a very tiny minority of younger helpers might be here for other reasons.

Crankshaft likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Honestly I think helpers are mostly looking for money, why stay separated from your kids and other family if not for the money? I think a very tiny minority of younger helpers might be here for other reasons.
    They are looking for money and will certainly move jobs for better pay (as most of us do!). But they also want to be treated well and the other perks and the job itself matter too. Sadly there are a lot of employers who treat helpers very badly.
    Elegiaque, Sith, hullexile and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grammer-nazi:
    Your “friend” is a fool. We live in DB, have an excellent helper who has years of experience and came highly recommended, and pay 5k.

We found our helper through recommendation of another helper. If you can, find someone in your local area who has a helper they like, and see if she can ask around
    Stupid comment but understand your view.

The only person looking foolish with comments like this is you.

Try being kinder, a positive perspective on others and your own life can transform you. (and any other negative people around you)
    Beanieskis and grammer-nazi like this.

I apologise for the foolish comment, obviously it is me that is the fool.

Back to the original question, I still agree with @Beanieskis.

And as to whether or not what we pay our helper is “fair” - it is what she asked for. She wanted no more than the minimum in the first contract. She has her own room (not a tiny box room without a/c that a lot of poor helpers have to deal with) and I like to think that (foolishness aside) a nice family who are not too demanding. Sure, some helpers may be only in it for as much money as they can get, but if I am looking for a good helper who will care for my family, in my opinion, I choose to treat her better rather than pay more than she asked for.

GRRR and Beanieskis like this.

This might be a whole different topic, but just to add: I certainly don’t consider 5k a “fair” salary at all. Even 8k is barely minimum wage for a helper working 8h x 6 days a week, and most work longer hours than that. And even minimum wage in HK is so low.

That said, I think the helper system is not unreasonable. Helpers do choose to come to HK. Like many other families, we couldn’t afford to pay much more, and without a helper my wife wouldn’t be able to work at all.

Beanieskis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grammer-nazi:
    This might be a whole different topic, but just to add: I certainly don’t consider 5k a “fair” salary at all. Even 8k is barely minimum wage for a helper working 8h x 6 days a week, and most work longer hours than that. And even minimum wage in HK is so low.

That said, I think the helper system is not unreasonable. Helpers do choose to come to HK. Like many other families, we couldn’t afford to pay much more, and without a helper my wife wouldn’t be able to work at all.
    I won't go as far as to call anyone a "fool" ... supply & demand in a free economy after all, and I'm sure there are "super nanny's" around who are paid five digits and worth every cent.

But I think I understand where you're coming from and I sympathise with the sentiment.

I don't have a helper and frankly would rather avoid one if possible - mostly because it's another person to manage and I prefer not to have a third person in the apartment, but that's just my preference. I don't take issue with the system.

On the other hand the age old argument amongst expat communities (or bemused locals back in the West to whom a DH is a foreign concept) - not necessary here on Geo - always amuses me. Even more so from those who actually have one!

Some cities are far worse for the DH to work, some are better (both pay and/or conditions). I believe DH salaries in Singapore or Dubai are comparable. Is that too low, I don't know... are bankers and top executives paid too much? (I know my answer to the latter!). Sadly those numbers are what they are in a free market economy. At the end of the day an Indonesian is paid far less back home and they come here willingly, to a city that is more functionally developed, and collectively contribute hugely to their own families and economy back home. Filipino too, although I gather their going rates can be higher.

Good talent is worth paying for and if you want to retain them, compensate accordingly.

(That's probably the same argument behind exorbitant CEO pay. It's a far fetched comparison, but if "tipping culture Americans" start giving Beijing taxi drivers 40% on every journey, after a while the drivers start to expect it as norm...)
    grammer-nazi likes this.

It is 5k plus rent (provided they get a decent room with pivacy) plus food. So technically it would be around 8k.