young lebanese moving

young lebanese moving

Dear all

My name is Salim Baroud i am 21 years old in my last year at college (studiyng business).

i am thinking of immigrating to HK.
    i am working as a cost controller at a restaurent chain company,
    i speak 3 languages english arabic and french and i am currently learning traditional chinese.

Do you think i will be able to get a descent job with a good salary that would support my living and maybe after some time completing my Masters at HK college.
    My family is not rich so i'll have to rely on myself.

I've been told HK is an expensive city.

will my studies and experience be recognised in HK.

pls i need your experience

Best Regards

It is typically very hard for a new graduate to get a work visa in Kong Kong. You need a job to sponsor you (you cannot just arrive and look for a job) which is hard from overseas and that job typically needs to pay around 20,000 HKD per month to be eligible to sponsor a visa (which is nearly double the average wage in HK).

That is not to say it is impossible, but the best way to get to HK is on an internal company transfer so if you find a job in your home country first and then transfer later when you have some more skills and experience that works better.

To be clear, you CANNOT live in HK without a visa, although you may be able to get a visa for studying if you have enough money to support yourself while doing that.

Thank you MovingIn07 , thought you made me sad i appreciate your reply.
    i did some research and a friend of mine told me that i could go there as visitor and apply for a work visa.
    My plan is as follows , what if instead of HK i go to china , work for some company and at the same time maybe after some time open my own small rest ( lebanese food).
    Is china much easier , would i be able to find job easy ,is it expensive and the most imp thing is Will i be able to get a working visa without a sponsor.
    Thank you very much for your help .

Sorry - I cannot answer about china, hopefully someone else can.
    If your plan is to start a business, then there is a type of visa called an investment visa which might work, but you need to have a decent sum of money to "invest" in a business before they allow it - there are a couple of other threads on here discussing investment visas and others might be able to give you a better feel for how much money is involved.

Regarding looking for work on a visitor visa, some people do it, but it is illegal so be very careful if you do. You are probably in the category that cannot easily get a 90 day visa (but I have not checked that) and if you only get a short visa this is not long enough to find a job (particularly in the current environment) and you are usually subject to much greater scrutiny than other westerners. HK is pretty racist in this regard I'm sorry to say. HOpe this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Regarding looking for work on a visitor visa, some people do it, but it is illegal so be very careful if you do. You are probably in the category that cannot easily get a 90 day visa (but I have not checked that) and if you only get a short visa this is not long enough to find a job (particularly in the current environment) and you are usually subject to much greater scrutiny than other westerners. HK is pretty racist in this regard I'm sorry to say. HOpe this helps.
    I agree with your post in general.
    BUT: Why is it illegal to visit HK and look for a job? As a tourist you can travel around and meet people and talk about things you want...

You'd have to look at the HK Immigration website - I think PDLM has posted the exact references in the past.

I know a lot of Arabians they work in China and they enjoy living there.Compare to China mainland , Hong Kong is much expensive.But if you like challenge you can have a try because you are very young. You can apply for your master degree here ,finish the study in one year and then find a job.That would be safe and better(but cost 150000HK$=18750$/year) hope you will be successful because I need a free Arabic teacher,haha!

Thank you all for your help, SUSANHST what u said might be what i will do, next week i will go visit the Chinese embassy i think they could be very helpful.
    if china doesn;t work i will try JAPAN.
    anyway thank you.

here is something you can think about. get into a top school in China, get a good job after you graduate. the cost would be a lot lower than hong kong. A lot of hong kong companies have branches in mainland China. maybe you will be able to transfer to their hong kong office.
    question, why do you want to go to hong kong so much? mainland China is not that bad.
    I am Chinese, born in China and immigrated to Hong Kong. right now I am studying in the U.S. in my senior year of business undergrad.
    good luck

i would assume Japan is even harder. best of luck!