Importing Car to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've driven a Beemer X5 beloning to a mate of mine, wasnt impressed. It looks nice but thats about it. My old Prado was faster, more torque.

If someone said, would you like a Range rover sport or X5 for free, i would definately take the Range rover.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    If someone said, would you like a Range rover sport or X5 for free, i would definately take the Range rover.
    And spend the money you save on a free one by getting comprehensive break down cover as by god you're going to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    And spend the money you save on a free one by getting comprehensive break down cover as by god you're going to need it.

Jims got a point, but I think that since BMW purchased Land Rover, and set up their brand new factory to produce this generation Range Rover, a lot of the reliability problems associated with the past, especially electrics, have been sorted out by zee Germans.

The pre BMW engineered Rangies like my 1995 model, really didn't cope very well with HK humidity , the electrically adjustable ride height switch located on the centre dashboard ( 3 ride height positions ) had a mind of its own, sometimes worked, sometimes didn't lol. But it always lowered the ride height to kerb height when the trans gate was placed into, park, making it easy to enter/exit from. So, it didn't bother me too much, and it was it's only fault when I owned my 1995 example.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    And I would see whether I could trade it in for a 'regular' Range Rover with the supercharged V8 engine, which is a superior vehicle in almost all respects - ironically, including handling The Sport version is mostly just a big marketing thing.
    Last edited by beachball; 08-01-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dftw:
    Hello

I recently moved to Hong Kong from England and got settled down with flat and job. I plan to buy a brand new Range Rover Sport in HK which costs HK1.1M odd (amounting to 100k quid). Brief research with Land Rover UK reveals that a similar petrol powered vehicle costs just GBP37k.

Does any body has experience importing new car into HK? I heard somewhere that you may get a brand new car registered in UK and then import straight into HK saving loads of 1st registered tax? Is there any body who has come across this before? What do the nitty gritties entail? Many thanks.
    Are you living in the Gold Coast? Even there you don't actually NEED a car - just in case you thought you did - but obviously agree with Skyhook if this is a hobby then go for it and I'm in the queue for a lift into work!

It's a little more agricultural, but the best sounding 4x4 by far is the AMG G55 - nothing else comes close. And SPS Automotive in Hong Kong have several available for you.

http://www.sps-automotive.com/en_sps/narrive/g55.htm

(They also have some other vary rare supercars available if your bank balance allows)

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    It's a little more agricultural, but the best sounding 4x4 by far is the AMG G55 - nothing else comes close. And SPS Automotive in Hong Kong have several available for you.

http://www.sps-automotive.com/en_sps/narrive/g55.htm

(They also have some other vary rare supercars available if your bank balance allows)
    I drove a slightly older one of them across the desert many, many years ago. They look good and perform well- believe me!
    I came close to buying a SWB version but got a V8 90 instead.