why hong kong? not your home country?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

why hong kong? not your home country?

i always heard this probed by prospective employers. esp. when the area i work in flourishes in my home country. can u share ur experience of tackling this Q? me n my friends have come across cynical hk-ers who have this "fail XX, try hk" type of attitude towards expats. what is the most appropriate thing to say?

Quote Originally Posted by dftw:
    i always heard this probed by prospective employers. esp. when the area i work in flourishes in my home country. can u share ur experience of tackling this Q? me n my friends have come across cynical hk-ers who have this "fail XX, try hk" type of attitude towards expats. what is the most appropriate thing to say?
    Something along the lines of wanting more international experience, exposure to working in different cultures, a new challenge, I would have thought.

And after a while, you say "Hong Kong is my home - I have no other".

>> who have this "fail XX, try hk" type of attitude towards expats

If you look at many industries (IFAs in particular), you'll know why.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Something along the lines of wanting more international experience, exposure to working in different cultures, a new challenge, I would have thought.
    "And after a while, you say "Hong Kong is my home - I have no other".

Yes to both of those. In my case my only regret is not doing it years before.

How about tired of paying insane taxes to support an overbloated government with too many useless social programs?

you could say the following, I came all the way to HK to:

1. Be crushed/pushed around on the MTR
    2. To have slow people walk in front of me when i am in a hurry
    3. To experience poeple staring at me
    4. To have doors and lifts not held for me
    5. To watch movies where peoples mobile phones are ringing and people talking
    6. To experience the SMOG
    7. To look at people picking noses in public, coughing and spitting out half their lung
    etc etc etc. Haaahaaaaa

"I am fleeing political disarray (current Cdn parliamentary crisis) and came to HK for good government. Oh wait, nevermind"

well, since i came to hong kong, i have escaped the following things which does not happened in hk , but commonly happens in uk.

the possiblity of a chav (uneducated yob who never works) looking to beat you up for a laugh or happy slap you while your on public transport

or mugging you for your psp/ds/ipod/phone

getting you car broken into for a pack of cigarette as well as some loose change

jumping the gauntlet of trying to avoid step in dog crap on ever street corner

feeling discontented after the taxman takes 20/25% of your wages as well any extra income from working extra overtime.

or the chance of being involved in a fight by some drunken yob on the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Rule number one in interviews - don't be negative about past employers (or countries I guess) - makes you sound like a moaner and you want to come across as positive. Could go for "I'm shagging the arse of a girl here and I don't want to leave her".
    a missed 'f' there?...or where you just being very specific?!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast