Moving to Hong Kong in A Few Months.. Many Questions..

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I would have suggested Australia but you wanted civilised.

Indeed. And it's mostly a bit hot for my liking, although someone was trying to persuade me of the delights of Tasmania the other day, and it sounded worth a look.

Or Melbourne. Being a finance guru you would like it there.

I'm not a finance guru - where did you get that idea?

Oh come on that was a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Clean, civilised, English-speaking, nice countryside, snow in the winter, great wines, good fresh local food, that sort of stuff.
    Like America without the Americans - now that you mention it what are the immigration rules for NZ again?

PDLM - I lived in NZ for 5.5 years. I couldn't get out fast enough. I love the fact that it is clean, green, etc etc which is why we moved in the first place, having spent a number of wonderful holidays there. BUT living and WORKING there is NOT the same as a holiday!!!!

Truely. You may love it, but then again, you may discover, as I did, that the locals are really odd (they seem to have some sort of cultural chip on their shoulder and take it out on all foreigners who move there, but not on tourists who are viewed as cashcows). It's a BLOODY LONG WAY from the rest of the world - it takes 3 hours just to get to Australia let alone anywhere else!

Jobs are hard to come by and when you find them, very low paid. However, telecoms is pretty deregulated so that's not doubt a plus.

Anyway, if you do go, DON"T MOVE TO WELLINGTON - Auckland is much more cosmopolitan and has much better weather!

The only really good reason for a brit to move to NZ would be that it's much easier to get NZ residency than Aus residency, but once you get it, you can also live and work in Aus......

Last edited by MovingIn07; 22-01-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    One plan I'm working on. Still have to go to the office for the next month, and have a little bit of a payoff, so I won't be on the streets for a while. But if the plan doesn't come off then leaving town is looking increasingly tempting given the air pollution. Mrs PDLM's job is a bit of an issue though.
    Good Idea. We are leaving in the summer and the prospect of breathable air again is something I am most looking forward to!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    You and any family members included in your application must be of good character
    Well that rules out some people I can think of...

I just spent a week in Hobart - not the sort of place I would want to live as it does feel like the end of the world (and it is). A nice place to visit, but after a while it would feel very weird. My vote is for Melbourne if you did want to move to Australia.