A few random, excited questions about move to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Oh man not another Banker in HK then?

PMSL Jimbo
    Last edited by Skyhook; 23-01-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Oh man not another Banker in HK then?
    ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by MTPockets:
    But I do have one eye, three ams, a crazy tik and a tendency to shout expletives at random people while walking down the street. You're ok with that though yeah - all about what's on the inside...?
    Of course... but I draw the line on cannibalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrona:
    Of course... but I draw the line on cannibalism.
    Really? Not even a nibble? That could be a problem as I rather enjoy sins of the flesh...

Hi MT,

How good is your negotiating position. I'd make a case of converting your GBP salary at $13/£1 or something like that, with the argument that exchange rates have been fluctuating so wildly recently. Either that, or work out what your USD salary would have been if measured at the beginning of the year (or last time you got a pay rise) - by using the exchange rate at the time, and suggest that they convert that into HKD.

It seems to me that there are no hard and fast rules around this, and it just depends how hard you negotiate. Depending on the size of the company, what they might actually have is a HKD salary band for your grade and job that they apply to locals. They'll then try to fit you into this band, but dress it up by talking about exchanging your GBP salary into HKD.

In terms of cost of living, I saw some figures that suggested it was about even with the UK when the exchange rate was 15.5. Since there's been such a change recently, I would imagine that an international index now would suggest COL is significantly higher in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by MTPockets:
    Really? Not even a nibble? That could be a problem as I rather enjoy sins of the flesh...
    Sins of the flesh, huh? That would explain the 3 arms and 1 eye.

I live in Shek O and love it. It isn't that inconvenient to get into the centre of town. Buses run every fifteen minutes or so to Shau Kei Wan and then it's a relatively quick MTR ride to most places on HK island. It's easier if you buy a car though - I can get to Central in 20 minutes with no traffic. The only problem with Shek O (and Big Wave Bay) is there is a lot of demand for accommodation and not that much supply. I wouldn't cycle on the roads around Shek O. Many people do, especially at weekends, but as someone who drives that road regularly, I think its pretty dangerous - you don't see cyclists til the last minute around some of those bends. I would definitely recommend living on the South side though. It's a different Hong Kong to living in Happy Valley or somewhere where all you see is high rises.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrona:
    Sins of the flesh, huh? That would explain the 3 arms and 1 eye.
    Errr, maybe if it was three legs and one eye...?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraF:
    I live in Shek O and love it. It isn't that inconvenient to get into the centre of town. Buses run every fifteen minutes or so to Shau Kei Wan and then it's a relatively quick MTR ride to most places on HK island. It's easier if you buy a car though - I can get to Central in 20 minutes with no traffic. The only problem with Shek O (and Big Wave Bay) is there is a lot of demand for accommodation and not that much supply. I wouldn't cycle on the roads around Shek O. Many people do, especially at weekends, but as someone who drives that road regularly, I think its pretty dangerous - you don't see cyclists til the last minute around some of those bends. I would definitely recommend living on the South side though. It's a different Hong Kong to living in Happy Valley or somewhere where all you see is high rises.
    Thanks Alexandra. That area looks fantastic but never been there, so until I arrive I won't know about the logistics of the commute. I've always been a little loathe to get a car unless I really need one and would rather use public transport if I can, although if that's the make/break of being able to comfortably live further out I'll definitely look into it.

Good to hear you love it. Would you say there's much of a 'community feel' (I appreciate we're not talking quaint devon villages here) - as I'll be going on my own so if I'm out of the larger social areas I'd at least like somewhere that's friendly and welcoming.

MT
    I can promise you, if you move to Shek O, and you wanted to visit Stanley or Repulse bay regularly to do your weekly grocery shop etc , which will be likely, it's going to get real old having to use public transport. Wait till humidity reaches 98%, its hot as blazers, its raining and your shirt is just dripping wet in sweat...These aren't great days, but a lot easier with a car.

Unless you're a masochist, maybe not straight away, but after 6 months or so of living here, you will realize how much extra time you'll have, by having a small car... Being a banker, i assume what little spare time you're going to have, is precious, why waste it waiting for a bus, that my be full, and then you have to wait until one is empty.... Like I said earlier, wait till it gets hot, humid and raining, and see if you really enjoy using public transport then..

As to what car you get, which will dictate your level of im/practicality. Most of us out in the sticks usually have one very practical/efficient car, which can be anything from a used $9000HKD Mazda Demio little rice burner ( just to get around as economically as possible ), and some will go for more exciting rides, but the fuel cost will increase accordingly, as will insurance, not to mention road TAX that is based on engine size, which exponentially increases in cost.

Mazda MX5 ( Miata in the states ) is a great car if you're single, cheap as chips to run, perfectly suited to the many tight and winding roads from Shek O to Aberdeen, or Shek O to the northern side of the Island. You'll look forward to going to work, and driving home, roof down, ( providing it's not raining ) your tunes on the stereo, enjoying the excellent scenery and life ....

Don't get consumed by the Mid Levels, sheeple syndrome.... You're much cooler than that ....lol.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 24-01-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Hmmm - not EVERYBODY who lives in the sticks has a car... we don't and have no problem with public transport!