A few random, excited questions about move to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smile A few random, excited questions about move to Hong Kong

Hi all. It's looking quite likely that I'll be moving with work to HK in the next few months. I've had a good hunt through posts but there are a few questions I have - and be great if anybody could shed some light for me.

1) Beaches. I appreciate HK isn't a surfing mecca, but is it possible to live anywhere on the east coast of the island (around big wave bay) and work in central - or is this just getting too awkward? I like a bit of space at times but would a single guy get too bored out there?

2) My employer seems keen to send me as a local (i.e. just taking my GBP salary, converting it to USD or HKD and that being my rate). I have no preconceptions as to whether this is best vs. the 'expat' position of being paid overseas as such.

Could anyone explain any pros/cons of both as I'm pretty confused?

3) Housing allowance. As far as I can see, so long as 10%+ of salary is spent on housing, incorporating this into salary package seems to be a winner for employees. My firm isn't keen (just lazy I think) but are there any tax advantages for them to go down this route that may help me persuade them?

4) This whole expat experience will be new for me - and feels quite exciting. Does anybody have some rough monthly expenditure figures for a single guy (utilities, phone, mobile, internet, transport food etc) so I can begin to really assess costs. I found some in old posts but they were from 2005 so possibly out of date now?

5) In terms of discussions with my firm, are there any other perks I could bring up as part of the move? I've thought of one/two return flights p.a., laptop/mobile, rental provision for first month or two while looking around but would really appreciate if anybody could suggest others (without completely taking the p!ss, as I realise that the days of the real expat packages are over for most).

6) Salary is likely to be around HK$820 all in (at this stage - exc 'perks', bonus) - in case that helps at all with assessment.

7) I understand public transport os very good, but is it possible to cycle to work easily from around different spots on HK Island.

I have loads more questions, but will leave it at that. If you have a couple of mins to spare me with advice that'd be great.

Thanks

Shek O which is close to Big Wave would be like my local friend whose older brother owned a place in Shek O said 'it is like being on vacation 365 days of the year.' However, he moved back to Sai Wan Ho as it was too far for his teen to get to school.

It is a long way by double decker or mini-bus to Shau Kei Wan or Sai Wan Ho where you can jump on the MTR. I am not sure of the travelling time but it has to be 20 min or more from Shek O to Sai Wan Ho if not a bit more.

Maybe some singles can comment on living there but it is as you say "awkward" to Central and is not that close to Big Wave (not easy walking distance). If you come to HK for the city, excitement and people, that would not be a great location to live as I am sure it is really only busy on sunny weekends.

Late nights getting home might be a worse issue as I am not sure what time the last bus or mini-bus would run.

If you are into surfing lifestyle, and appreciate the outdoors, and interested in hanging out with members of a local community for a beer etc, then Shek O might be very appealing to you.

We have a few friends who live out there, and it's really got a ( REAL ) local village feel, quiet friendly, and easy to get into the evening after work beer group, which can usually be found at Lu Lu's ( A local lady ) dai pai dong ( local open fronted restaurant ), or the Thai restaurant, from 6pm any given evening.

There is a lot of stand alone housing there, literally a few hundred metres from the beach/break, the sound of the waves crashing on the shore/rocks, clearly audible from any open window or sliding door, and more than worth the winding 30 minute bus commute to work each morning.

Quiet a few of the guys who live there have medium to large sport ( motor) bikes, a car or just content with using the public light mini bus to get into town on, which is about as quick as driving.

If you are the type that can't handle a 30 minute commute, and needy of NYC style STARBUCKS convenience, Shek O won't be for you.

Lots of photo's of Shek O here >>> http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=200088

PS: Once in Hong Kong, you'll quickly learn, that 30 minutes commute time in HK, ( Sheeple mentality) is equivalent of a 1 hour commute perception in Australia, South Africa, Western Europe etc.

Also Lu Lu is the lady to speak to about rental properties in the Shek O area, as real estate agents aren't welcome there, everybody goes through her when looking for rentals....If you need any help with that just PM me and I'll pass her number onto you.

Last edited by Skyhook; 23-01-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Re cycling - hell no! That would be taking your life in your hands... the roads around Shek o are very narrow, windy and hilly with taxis and doubledecker buses rushing around ... then you get to the north of the island and it is freeways and very, very busy urban streets. Scary stuff. We have not taken our bikes out once since we arrived....

Thanks for the replies so far. Shek-o and the photos look great. Initially at least I'm likely to be in a serviced apartment/hotel close to the office in central, but interested in settling down a little further out - I hope to be able to guage the balance between social life/more relaxed lifestyle on the coast better once there.

Cycling - really? Even from spots closer to central? That's a shame, although I have a feeling I may still give it a go. Fingers crossed...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by MTPockets:
    Cycling - really? Even from spots closer to central? That's a shame, although I have a feeling I may still give it a go. Fingers crossed...
    You're never ever been to Hong Kong have you?

Trust us on this. Don't.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I have seen a crazy gweilo cycling along Queen's Road West - towards Central!! (For people who don't know HK, Queen's Road West is one-way - that one way is away from Central). Haven't seen him in awhile...

Consensus then, fair enough. No I've never been - staying alive is somewhat more important than a healthy start to the day - so I'll trust you all on that.

Any views on the other questions if you have time? - no worries if not.

2) My employer seems keen to send me as a local (i.e. just taking my GBP salary, converting it to USD or HKD and that being my rate). I have no preconceptions as to whether this is best vs. the 'expat' position of being paid overseas as such.
    The problem is that the GBP would have got you 16 HKD a few months back, a now it gets you less than 11. Where and in what currency you are paid has no impact on taxation. The question is simply how many HKD you have to spend each month. (Unless of course you expect to be saving/spending a substantial portion of your income in GBP).
    3) Housing allowance. As far as I can see, so long as 10%+ of salary is spent on housing, incorporating this into salary package seems to be a winner for employees. My firm isn't keen (just lazy I think) but are there any tax advantages for them to go down this route that may help me persuade them?
    Unfortunately not that I'm aware of. The work involved is really quite small. One possible disadvantage is that if your bonus is a percentage of base salary, if some of it is deemed "housing allowance" then your effective base salary for bonus purposes may get smaller.
    4) This whole expat experience will be new for me - and feels quite exciting. Does anybody have some rough monthly expenditure figures for a single guy (utilities, phone, mobile, internet, transport food etc) so I can begin to really assess costs. I found some in old posts but they were from 2005 so possibly out of date now?
    Costs haven't changed much in the last 3 years. There really is lots of previous data on this already in the forums. Electricity is has a government rebate of $300/month on it until August.
    5) In terms of discussions with my firm, are there any other perks I could bring up as part of the move? I've thought of one/two return flights p.a., laptop/mobile, rental provision for first month or two while looking around but would really appreciate if anybody could suggest others (without completely taking the p!ss, as I realise that the days of the real expat packages are over for most).
    One flight back a year, a one-time payment for removal costs, and a serviced apartment for the first month while you find a place of your own, would seem reasonable.
    6) Salary is likely to be around HK$820 all in (at this stage - exc 'perks', bonus) - in case that helps at all with assessment.
    I assume that's HK$820,000 per year? (There are some extreme variations in salary here). If so, that is a very comfortable amount for a single person - the average household income in HK is less than a quarter of that.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast