Moving to HK - any help pls?

Closed Thread

Moving to HK - any help pls?

Hi all,
    New to this site, and hope can get some help here. I am from Singapore, moving out to HK in early march, will be down to take a look for 2 days next week. A few questions if anyone can help pls. I will be working in Central. I am single, have a budget of between 15-20k per month (of course the lesser the better!). Will prefer to stay in a "not-so-crowded" place (not the kind of crowd I see in Mong kok etc), with facilities (swimming pool etc, I love sports)..Of course convenience also a top priorty, less than 15 min on travel to central. Space between 600-900 sq ft is fine since I am staying alone, though family will come visit once in a while. I have heard a few recommendations like Belcher's at Pok fu lam, Belair, Merton at kennedy, Happy Valley... Anyone staying at these places? Or suggestions /feedback etc.

Also, does the rental in HK include furnitures etc? Anything I should take note of when I talk to the agent pls? Thanks a lot!

best thing to do is to move into a serviced apartment for a month and look at different areas, visit the agents in those areas and look at flats (apartments).

Each flat (apartment) is different, some can come with furniture most dont, it all depends on how you deal with the landlord.

With your budget, you should definitely try a serviced apartment.

I also work in Central, and I live in Causeway bay. I find it to be just far enough from Central to not feel like you're living where you work, but it's not far enough for the commute to be long. Also, Causeway bay is really active and is the location of many fine restaurants and shops. I definitely suggest that you look into serviced apartments in the Causeway bay area.

Checking into a serviced apartment for a month is usually a good idea - gives you time to check out places for yourself.

Causeway Bay definitely won't meet your less crowded criteria. Kennedy Town is more residential, but not a lot of open space. Lots of concrete. Happy Valley and Pok Fu Lam are greener, wider streets, closer to hiking etc. But, your commute, especially from Pok Fu Lam, may be a bit more than 15 minutes, particularly in the morning. Some people find the lack of an MTR station in Pok Fu Lam to be problematic. You will have to take a bus, cab or drive a car to Central. Most people I know in Pok Fu Lam take minibusses to work in the morning and don't have any complaints. Happy Valley also doesn't have an MTR stop, but you can walk/ take the tram towards the MTR in Causeway Bay, take a bus or minibus to Central, take a cab, or take the tram (hot in the summer though) into Central from Happy Valley.

Hi YippeeYeh,

I think you can take a look at the places in Kowloon Station, if you take the MTR, you can get to Central in 15mins or less.