job market

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

job market

i am a ABC with mediocre cantonese skills
    currently a student in the US
    studying to be a auto tech
    i kno i can make pretty good money here.

but hows the job market for a auto tech in HK
    wats the starting and avg salary per month or yr for a auto tech there?

Car technicians are classified as sefu labour here, meaning you fall under menial task professions. I'd say you'd basically make a minimum level wage of between $5000 - $8000hkd a month.

If you decide to open up your own workshop, and just manage your own staff, then the financial remuneration will be much higher,( providing you have a good business plan ) but compared to the US unionized pay scales, you'd be better looked after there, especially under a recognized car manufacturers franchise, ie Toyota, Honda, BMW, VW, Mercedes Benz etc etc etc, until you go out on your own with some industry experience under your belt....

Last edited by Skyhook; 29-01-2009 at 06:11 PM.

wow that little?

within a few yrs after i graduate. i could b makin 50-70k a yr here. I even heard of people making 100k+ as a mechanic.

perhaps i need to stay here for few years and save up the money to open my own shop in HK or change my line of career?

I think on a career potential point of view, you would be much better off where you are than here. Private work shop owners would be lucky if they even earned $780K hkd a year. The work shop staff certainly make nothing like that sort of money, even at a workshop like Italian motors ( HK Ferrari and Maserati agents ) , the mechanical service staff make very low salaries.

I'd suggest that you come to HK for a visit and check out the scene here, you'll soon discover that on a work shop space point of view, USA would be very pleasant.

HK's commercial rents make space very limiting,the age of commercial garages are also pretty archaic/dire compared to a nice surgically clean American workshop of much larger size, fitted out with all the latest tools and precise, ( well maintained ) modern, computer controlled, machining gear.

Unless you are a masochist, and enjoy working in cramped humid conditions for a very low rate of hourly pay, HK would be the worst location for you to waste your qualifications on.... In my opinion, why bother ? You have a perfect opportunity where you are, where you can make decent coin...

Last edited by Skyhook; 29-01-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I think on a career potential point of view, you would be much better off where you are than here. Private work shop owners would be lucky if they even earned $780K hkd a year. The work shop staff certainly make nothing like that sort of money, even at a workshop like Italian motors ( HK Ferrari and Maserati agents ) , the mechanical service staff make very low salaries.

I'd suggest that you come to HK for a visit and check out the scene here, you'll soon discover that on a work shop space point of view, USA would be very pleasant.

HK's commercial rents make space very limiting,the age of commercial garages are also pretty archaic/dire compared to a nice surgically clean American workshop of much larger size, fitted out with all the latest tools and precise, ( well maintained ) modern, computer controlled, machining gear.

Unless you are a masochist, and enjoy working in cramped humid conditions for a very low rate of hourly pay, HK would be the worst location for you to waste your qualifications on.... In my opinion, why bother ? You have a perfect opportunity where you are, where you can make decent coin...
    780k is plenty for me.
    hong kong doesnt have their car fixed at all?
    if its 8-10k a month......thats hardly enough to live on. rite?

wat kind of advice would u give. if i want to live in HK in the future? after a few years of saving up pay checks...go bak to school and get a diploma in business or something?
    Last edited by hookedonlp; 30-01-2009 at 03:11 PM.

If i were you and you have a technical hands on approach, with a career view to making the sort of money that you aspire. I would look at becoming an airframe engineer, re qualifying yourself to becoming a flight engineer, once you have the necessary experience required for an expat post, you will make more than $780K a year inc housing allowance, company supplied vehicle via a HK FBO.

Very few industries will hire unknown quantities, with a view to paying the sort of salaries you're expecting here in Hong Kong.

To answer your question regarding do people get their cars serviced here, of course they do, but any monkey that can turn a spanner, can work in majority of the workshops of HK, it's not Govt regulated like in other countries, and not an admired profession ( among the educationally snobbish elite ) demanding a high end income...

The working class in Hong Kong, which car mechanics fall under usually, are treated financially, very poorly.

As I said earlier, if you want to earn over 500K a year, open your own workshop, because you will never make near or above that working for any of the workshops, even DCH Bentley HK will pay you minimal working class wages...

Last edited by Skyhook; 30-01-2009 at 03:19 PM.

of course the more money the better
    but im not looking for the luxury life. just at least 20-40k would b more livable. i think.

thx so much for all ur advice!

hmmmm.....so maybe gain some exp as a auto tech first. then try a move onto flights? then gain some exp in that field.

Hookedonlp

What you do is entirely up to you, but if you are able to make an excellent income by being an auto tech in the USA, it seems a bit weird to throw that career opportunity away, to struggle here.....

You have so many opportunities made available to you in the USA, if you want to specialize working on cars....

You need to decide on a set of career skills/qualifications that you can easily acquire in the USA, skills that are in demand here, that can't be easily performed by local staff in Hong Kong....

The rules of supply and demand at play...

Last edited by Skyhook; 30-01-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Thank You so much
    Supply and Demand.....agreed

So what are some mediocre - semi high paying jobs that are always in demand? Or perhaps will be in demand in years to come?

IE: Nursing in the US can pretty much get a full time job with good pay after their certification.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonlp:
    Thank You so much
    Supply and Demand.....agreed

So what are some mediocre - semi high paying jobs that are always in demand? Or perhaps will be in demand in years to come?

IE: Nursing in the US can pretty much get a full time job with good pay after their certification.
    My best advice (and take it as you will) for you, is to find a job that you try to enjoy instead of finding a job just for money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast