Living in DB witha salary of 55k per month

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Living in DB witha salary of 55k per month

I wonder if anyone could help with whether this will be enough to live on Disco Bay with a family of 4 children and spouse. I'm looking at paying rents of 15k (3bedroomed apt), some top up school fees of 5k and an ammah another 4k.

Could anyone post some typical bills and other monthly payments I would have to pay. I'm trying to work out whether we could live comfortably or whether it would be tight each month. I have accepted a job thinking it was a really good salary and someone who used to live in HK a few years ago has now said that we might struggle. Any opinions or advice...

Many thanks

Last edited by lililou; 10-02-2009 at 12:16 AM.

Carang - here on GEOEXPAT can give you some idea as she use to live there with her family prior to moving to Sai Kung.

Recommend you PM her your questions.

Last edited by Alby; 10-02-2009 at 07:23 AM.

We faced a similar question last year, I will PM a reply.

Transportation could cut quite a bit into your budget. The ferries cost currently HK$ 27 one way per adult and there will be an increase - how much depends on the decision still to be made by the transport department. Village buses HK$ 4, hire car HK$ 10, airport bus HK$ 32, Tung Chung/Sunny Bay bus HK$ 9.1.

ferries cost quite a bit... a lot will depend on whether your wife will work or not.

i lived there with hubby, helper, a toddler and a baby on less than $55k per month. however, my hubby worked in db and only i went to hk island everyday.

it is possible, though, and if you like the lifestyle definitely worth it. there is lots for the kids to do and if you aren't into paying for activities, there are playgrounds in each village and the beach. you can also easily arrange playdates there as everyone is so nearby.

we've been in sai kung for about 18 months and miss DB. it just got too expensive for us to stay. we needed a bigger place and were able to get a great deal in sai kung.

Thanks all

Thanks to all for giving the advice. It seems like I have a better idea and that it should just about be manageable if we budget well.

Will be on here quite a bit over the next few months I would imagine!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I consider 55k HK$ way above a modest income in relative terms to locals, and should cover more than your overheads?

Yes, I think it probably will and thought so myself until a friend had said that it would be tight. Just wanted to check it out here with people who live there already and are expats. This forum is great for asking all those questions and I've had a lot of great PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by kenzokengo:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I consider 55k HK$ way above a modest income in relative terms to locals, and should cover more than your overheads?
    I guess that's because expats have different costs to locals and so need a different salary. I'd say a family of 4 on 55k would be doable, but not "rich" by any stretch.

Cheers

We are a family of 6 and are planning on having an amah as well so I would inagine the grocery bill being quite high every week, even without eating out.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast