Agreements in HK and moving costs

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My anti-bus attitude is only to do with not being able to read on the bus - if I do I get motion sickness. I didn't try them out when I was visiting for my interview - but it does sound like they're good and convenient. Except for the sickness-inducing bit.

I might try looking in Kowloon for a short-term place - still pretty easy to get to work, but also not far from Hong Kong Island.

The bus you can get used to.

Check out the regal riverside in Shatin, they have a long stay package $7888 up

http://http://www.regalhotel.com/get...g-Package.aspx

Thanks - I stayed at the regal riverside while interviewing, and while the hotel was fine, it's still a hotel (no kitchen) and the internet connection was so ridiculously expensive - HK$170 per day! Which almost doubles the cost of the room (although, come to think of it, I think there might have been an option at HK$700 per week - not good, but better). Shatin was very convenient to the university, however.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Remember also that you will need an Employment Visa (unless you have right of abode in HK) and this will take time, and require the support of your employer, to process. You cannot work until it is granted, and this will probably take at least 6-8 weeks from application.
    You can actually work without the visa ( depending what sort of passport you have but British or EU are fine) as long as you submit the application ASAP and the job commencement date correlates with application. Having just been through this it took around 13 weeks to get everything sorted and lots of toing and froing of documents.

Service apartments might be an option but tend to be pretty pricey 25K + a month depending where you stay and they too sadly demand deposits though a month is more normal.

Also need to consider agency fees here if you find your apartment through an agency which again is 1 month's rent on top of your deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by charley77:
    You can actually work without the visa ( depending what sort of passport you have but British or EU are fine) as long as you submit the application ASAP and the job commencement date correlates with application. Having just been through this it took around 13 weeks to get everything sorted and lots of toing and froing of documents.
    This is absolutely wrong. If you do not have the right of abode (or RTL, unconditional stay) in HK then you cannot be employed legally in Hong Kong until an appropriate visa is granted.

Quote Originally Posted by lozz:
    I wouldn't mind a commute from the northern parts of Hong Kong island - I'm basically fine with commuting so long as it's on MTR or rail (or walking) - not so keen on the buses.
    I use to live in the Mid-levels and commute to Shatin I hated it because to get to the MTR the escalator, the doube-deck buses,minibuses were crowed and taxi's were impossible to get. Getting off the hill to Shatin some days could have take almost 2-hours.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Is that attitude based on overseas buses?
    Born and breed in Boston ... can say the buses are a bit slower than the ones here in HK not as frequent but are clean. The MTA has done a lot to revamp the image of public transit in Boston over the 15 years.

lozz, HK-system is far far far SUPERIOR than Boston, NY and DC combine.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    To be fair, there are bus routes which are just as crowded in the rush hour as the MTR - just to quote one example I know, routes 23 & 40 down from the mid-levels to Admiralty/Wanchai & CWB in the morning will be loaded to capacity between about 8:30 and 9:15.
    These are the routes I was specifically referring to above.

In terms of locale's to consider:

I have know idea what kind charley77 criteria is when looking at service apartments but a modest 500 sqft hk service apartment can be had for 12K with maid service .... on a mid-level with minimal view on both HK and Kowloon side. (yes 500 sq ft is a very modest flat in HK) If you must have a seaview in a hip section of town then you will pay up to 18k more if you want a 2brrm or more service apartment high floor with maid service you are looking at 17Kplus.

Suggest you consider southern Kowloon Peninsula area, there are some great flats for rent in and around Jordan... 3Jordan Rd requires a minimum 6-month stay but conveniently near MTR subway and train with loads of buses to choose that take you directly to Chinese University. Around the corner from there is Excellence Court a service apartment, you may also consider staying in Sharma in TST also a service apartment, to see how much you like it.

Hillwood Road, Austin Avenue and Kimberly Rd have some good apartments that people like ... gives the feel of Fenway area ....

There is also Hong Hum area which is right next to the MTR train which will take you straight to University ... it is more of a Quincy downtown area feel ...

All the places I suggest are on Kowloon-side but if you want to spend the nights out in HK-side the minibus ride through the tunnel is HK20 dollars and is abut 10 minutes or a taxi ride for about HK100

On Hong Kong-side some Bostonians refer to Happy Valley area as having Back Bay feel and Tin Hau is like Porter Square
    Last edited by Alby; 27-02-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Lozz,
    I agree on the Royal Park, I was there for 2 weeks, the location is good but it gets claustro fast.

I'm now in Ma On Shan in a serviced flat at the Horizon Suites. Their promotions show a price of $6,288/mo, but from all I hear that's a total white elephant, like one apt in the whole building. I'm paying $18k/mo for a 2 br, because I only wanted to commit to 2 months. They offered me $15k if I'd sign for 6 months, and I could have likely negotiated bit off that.

It's an OK place, just has a 2 burner electric hotplate but a good sized 'fridge and micro. The bathroom is nice and you get a washer in your flat. Dryers are available downstairs and they have laundry service too if you're lazy like me. They also have free shuttle buses for Shatin area destinations, and one that goes to TST for $10. It's just a few minutes' walk from the MTR.

If you go there don't let them talk you into the flat-rate electricity deal. They want $1,000/mo, and my bill for electricity this month was $98... I can't imagine how you'd use $1000/mo -- maybe running the washer and aircon 24/7.