Recommended expat areas?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    leeds and smelly... you guys are a bit extreme aren't you...could just be possible that OP wants to find someplace that fits HER comfort zone, not yours....then after a while, when she sees how interesting the areas outside of the expat ghettos are, she might choose to be more adventurous...give her a break already
    Tim offers a valid point. I think Smelly was being a little harsh.

It is quiet typical for us newly arrived expats to settle in an expat prominent enclave to start with, until we find our Chinese feet...

In time, once newly acquired cultural sensibilities are adopted, some of us discover that there are lots of alternative locations to live, where mixing with the local community can be enjoyed also.

Seems to be common among expats who decide to purchase their own home, after living in the expat enclaves for a few years, then opting for larger living spaces further out from the inner city.

When you speak to expats that have lived here for 7 plus years, ask them which part of HK they live now, compared to when they first arrived...

You'll find most, have a similar experience to share .

Smile moving to HK-help!

I too am moving to HK in June- and was wondering which areas were good to move to with kids- I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old daughter and was told that the mids is not a good place for kids- to be quite honest I have lived in central london and ny and love the hustle and bustle.
    Any ideas of areas on Hong Kong Island which are also not too expensive- I heard repulse and stanley are very expensive to rent.
    ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

SV1

not sure quite why i've received these (anonymous) red blobs!

just saying that people shouldn't be so narrow minded as to assume they want to live only with fellow westerners.

after time they may find they do, but at least start off with an open mind

(any green blobs gratefully accepted!!)

Quote Originally Posted by sv1:
    I too am moving to HK in June- and was wondering which areas were good to move to with kids- I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old daughter and was told that the mids is not a good place for kids- to be quite honest I have lived in central london and ny and love the hustle and bustle.
    Any ideas of areas on Hong Kong Island which are also not too expensive- I heard repulse and stanley are very expensive to rent.
    ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

SV1
    Hi SV1

I will apologise, I've not been here very long but from what I've learnt, if you want somewhere on the Island then maybe have a look at Happy Valley or Causeway Bay. Happy Valley, I don't know much about it except I run past it most days but I have friends who live there and it seems very nice rather quiet compared to Central Londong though! Causeway Bay is nice, I have friends there but I don't know what it would be like for kids... Its very busy there and theres ALOT to do in the area.

I'm sure other people around the site could give you much more advice than I have but I thought it best to keep this thread alive.

Ken

P.S.. LeedsEagle.. start an advertising campaign for green dots... see how that takes off

to add my 2 cents to the "expat-friendly" discussion.
    We've been living in Fortress Hill for approx. 9 months. We looked for space, specifically saying- we don't want to limit to the expat enclaves (DB, southside, central, etc). We love aspects of our neighborhood- local food, very convenient, good apartment space, convenient to the kids' school- but are now feeling somewhat isolated. Its depressing to go down to the playground, and see 50 kids running around, none of which will play with our kids because they don't speak the same language. Or to never bump into someone you can easily have a friendly chat with. Sure, people talk to us, and we've made superficial acquaintances, but the people we really "talk" to, or invite to dinner are "westerners" we've met through work or school. As someone wrote already- shared experiences are so important.

Always wondered what it would be like to live in the Fortress Hill area. Can I ask what rent I could expect to pay and what size flat I would get?

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Always wondered what it would be like to live in the Fortress Hill area. Can I ask what rent I could expect to pay and what size flat I would get?
    We pay $30k for an older (for HK) flat with 3 good size bedrooms plus helpers room, nice living/ dining area and kitchen that can fit three people if you don't try to move or actually cook. approx. 1200sq ft
    Space is good, convenience is good- the aforementioned lack of some sort of shared cultural experience with our neighbors aside, we're actually pretty happy. (although the kitchen smells and the bathroom has a mystery leak- but we seem to be getting used to that)

So would it be correct to assume that a two-bedroom without a helper's room would likely cost 15k/month?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

discobay: why not just look at an agent's website or gohome for any idea of rents?

Good idea - just me being lazy.