Recommended expat areas?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kenbo23:
    Hi SV1

I will apologise, I've not been here very long but from what I've learnt, if you want somewhere on the Island then maybe have a look at Happy Valley or Causeway Bay. Happy Valley, I don't know much about it except I run past it most days but I have friends who live there and it seems very nice rather quiet compared to Central Londong though! Causeway Bay is nice, I have friends there but I don't know what it would be like for kids... Its very busy there and theres ALOT to do in the area.

I'm sure other people around the site could give you much more advice than I have but I thought it best to keep this thread alive.

Ken

P.S.. LeedsEagle.. start an advertising campaign for green dots... see how that takes off
    I struggle to imagine anywhere in Happy Valley or Causeway Bay being LESS busy than Central London! (Or indeed many other places!).

If you like the hustle and bustle there are loads of options. Midlevels and Soho are perhaps the obvious choices, with plenty of restaurants close by etc etc. Other options may include Kennedy Town, or places along the blue line (Wan Chai, Causeway Bay, etc etc). Also Kowloon has some good options - the places above Kowloon station, for example, are extremely convenient and very new. Best to come and take a look, to be honest, get a serviced appt or hotel for a couple of weeks and decide when you get here.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    So would it be correct to assume that a two-bedroom without a helper's room would likely cost 15k/month?
    I live in Fortress Hill too and pay under $20k for 900 sq ft and it is a legit 900. 3 bed 2 bath, balcony...
    Last edited by smelly; 15-04-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Harbourview?

Does anyone have experience/feedback on the Harbourview tower on Kowloon Station? Another corporate option is near the peak but we think that's too far to work in central and Kowloon - and we don't plan to have a car there. Any feedback on pros/cons of these two areas would be great - scene, distance, etc. We've visited several times but would appreciate feedback from anyone who's already living in HK.

Thanks all!

Feedback

Hi Everyone,
    Assuming I'm the op (I'm guessing this is original poster?), just want to thank you all for your feedback. Being that we'll be brand new to Hong Kong, we want to start in an area that is somewhat familiar just to ease the transition - not because we're close minded or by any means racist. We're fortunate to be arriving with several local friends already (not expats by the way). Just getting started on the forum and appreciate your feedback on your own experiences setting up in HK. The dog and long-term plans to start a family also are a factor here, as is the fact that we don't have much time or any friends who have done this before to help. Thanks and my apologies if anyone was offended by the expat inquiry! No harm - or blobs(?) - intended!

I'd avoid West Kowloon (Kowloon station) developments because the "neighbourhood" (if you can call it that) is non-existent... just sterile highways with no shops or street life. I'd imagine moving in there would be a quick way to feel isolated.

Bookblogger,
    So good to know - we were concerned about that but it's hard to tell from just one trip. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I'd avoid West Kowloon (Kowloon station) developments because the "neighbourhood" (if you can call it that) is non-existent... just sterile highways with no shops or street life. I'd imagine moving in there would be a quick way to feel isolated.
    No shops?

You're right above the elements shopping mall!
    And Olympic and Mongkok are a short walk away too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    No shops?

You're right above the elements shopping mall!
    And Olympic and Mongkok are a short walk away too.
    Yes, shops inside a giant indoor podium, all owned by the same landlord, designed to keep residents captive consumers. I meant there are no shops at street level. You can't even walk around on the streets. Getting to TST by foot is an exercise in frustration.

For me West Kowloon is one of the worst examples of town planning I have seen, and as it was all built on a blank canvas (new reclamation) there are no excuses for how it's turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Yes, shops inside a giant indoor podium, all owned by the same landlord, designed to keep residents captive consumers. I meant there are no shops at street level. You can't even walk around on the streets. Getting to TST by foot is an exercise in frustration.

For me West Kowloon is one of the worst examples of town planning I have seen, and as it was all built on a blank canvas (new reclamation) there are no excuses for how it's turned out.
    Totally agree. It's one of the most unwelcoming places that I've been too. So unwelcoming, and the area surrounding it is awful (bad planning). However in saying that, once you can negotiate your way out of the place (Which isn't that easy), TST, Mong Kok, Jordon are what I think some of the best places in HK.

getting out is easy...there's a taxi/minibus terminal under the podium...avoid the awful, depressing walk through the surrounding wasteland altogether

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast