Recommended expat areas?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Recommended expat areas?

Hi there,
    Moving to HK in May to work on Kowloon side with husband. We've looked at Kowloon Station apartments for convenience, but didn't see any expats. Besides the Peak and Discovery Bay (both too far), what other areas are really expat friendly? any suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you!

One Silverseas, Harbourgreen, metro harbourview... one station after kowloon station

There are no areas except Discovery Bay where the proportion of expats exceeds 25%. This really isn't a town with "ghettos" based on race.

What exactly do you mean by "expat friendly"?

Area's that are popular with expats on the Kowloon side are as follows:

Kowloon Tong around Broadcast Drive & Tat Che Ave Yau Yat Tsuen near Festival Walk ( Kowloon Tong MTR ).

If you can handle a 35 minute commute, Sai Kung toward Clear Water Bay, ie Marina Cove / Hebe Haven etc are very popular area's scenically speaking, with a hugely active expat community that gets along pretty well, largely helped out by larger 1, 2, or 3 level homes ( not apartments) with the space ability to entertain friends, ie dinner parties like you could back in the west, on the weekends. Two or 3 storey homes that include a 700ft2 roof top terrace/garden are pretty common in this neighbourhood.

Name:  Hebe Haven.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  416.2 KB

More info visible here Flickr: Hebe Haven / Pak Sha Wan

They have their own website, produced/contributed by the Sai Kung expat community. Here >> Explore Sai Kung

Quiet a few of the shops, pubs and restaurants are owned/run by long term expats in Sai Kung town, like Anthony's Catch, Steamers, The Duke of York, one of the book shops, the outdoor furniture guy, European Motors, HP Cars ( mechanic ) etc etc etc,giving the area a bit of a seaside village feel.

Are you looking at specifically inner city high rise living ? or a more suburban housing arrangement ?
    Any idea regarding budget ?
    Last edited by Skyhook; 29-03-2009 at 12:40 AM.

I intend to migrate HK, can somebody guide me regarding job situation in city, accomodation and education. Is living in HK is really expensive?

Thx,

Before all of that, the first question is on what basis you are going to migrate here? Do you have the Right of Abode in Hong Kong? You need a visa to live here - you can't just turn up and move in.

Though I like Broadcast Drive and Tat Che Ave Yau Yat Tsuen near Festival Walk ( Kowloon Tong MTR ) and have lived on Tat Che Ave I would not necessarily regard them as expat-friendly areas; more well-to-do areas appealing to the well-heeled middle-class Chinese and non-Chinese.
    I second the opinion that Sai Kung has a burgeoning expat community though the daily commute along the single 'B' road back to Kowloon can be troublesome.

My first residence when newly arrived all those years ago, was also in Tat Che Ave, in one of the tri level Village Garden residences... I really enjoyed being 5 minutes walk from the mall/MTR back then, and that it's largely level ground around there lol. Walking to Mong Kok, say the Argyle centre, took about 15 minutes, so it was pretty handy if you worked in inner Kowloon. Most expats hang out at the Festival Walk Shopping complex, namely Starbucks and PCC. A lot of expat school teachers live in the neighbouring area as, Kowloon Tong sports a large concentration of the international schools..

Regarding Sai Kung, another area that we have lived, and adored, one of the reasons that I suggested Hebe Haven, especially Marina Cove toward the large round about, is that its a very quick/fast direct route to Hang Hau MTR from there. It bypasses the basket case of Hirams Highway between the Esso Service station in Sai Kung town and Hebe Haven Yacht Club...After that you're sweet..

Compare it to Tai Wan Village on the other side of Sai Kung Town, living in Hebe Haven/Marina Cove, reduces your commute time to 30 - 35mins to TST.

I agree though, if you choose the wrong section of road in the Sai Kung District, it will cost you dearly in time loss.

Last edited by Skyhook; 30-03-2009 at 11:41 AM.

@skyhook
    Out of curiosity which part of Sai Kung are you describing? Feel free to give road names.

Quote Originally Posted by ECR:
    Hi there,
    Moving to HK in May to work on Kowloon side with husband. We've looked at Kowloon Station apartments for convenience, but didn't see any expats. Besides the Peak and Discovery Bay (both too far), what other areas are really expat friendly? any suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you!
    why move to HK if you dont want to live with the people who live here? why is race so important?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast