Tips on looking for a job

Closed Thread

Talking Tips on looking for a job

Hi!
    Ok, technically I shouldn't really be on this little forum, as I have no real prospects regarding moving to HK yet, but I was hoping to gain a few tips from any lovely and knowledgeable people already out there. My husband and I have just made the decision to try to relocate for a few years, HK being our place of choice. I'm a teacher and from what I can see, should have no real trouble finding a job out there. However, my husband is a (very experienced) engineering project manager for a very big company in the UK, though his job doesn't seem to have many relevant equivalents that I can see in HK job market.
    I was just wondering how and why you all ended up in HK and how and where you went about looking for your jobs out there, and if you had any tips for potential HK expats??
    I'd be really grateful for any useful ideas anyone had as this is really turning into something we are pursuing at the mo.

thanks in advance

oh, also we're coming out there for a week (hol/rekkie) in May, would it be worth bringing CV's and trying to sort something out with agencies from then? (in your opinion) or just try to find something from here?

Might you leave the "help help help" for people who actually have urgent real enquiries? there are already numerous threads on here covering what you want - why not try the search function first? For example, start here http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread18046.html

I had. My questions are 'real'. And I am 'planning my move'. Thanks for your suggestion.

Last edited by Vickski; 18-04-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickski:
    Hi!
    Ok, technically I shouldn't really be on this little forum, as I have no real prospects regarding moving to HK yet, but I was hoping to gain a few tips from any lovely and knowledgeable people already out there. My husband and I have just made the decision to try to relocate for a few years, HK being our place of choice. I'm a teacher and from what I can see, should have no real trouble finding a job out there. However, my husband is a (very experienced) engineering project manager for a very big company in the UK, though his job doesn't seem to have many relevant equivalents that I can see in HK job market.
    I was just wondering how and why you all ended up in HK and how and where you went about looking for your jobs out there, and if you had any tips for potential HK expats??
    I'd be really grateful for any useful ideas anyone had as this is really turning into something we are pursuing at the mo.

thanks in advance
    For teachers - there is a ton of advice on various forums here.

For engineering project managment positions - contact recruitment consultancies/ agents who cover his sector and see what they have to say about the types of positions that are in the HK market, and whether he is competitive. Some recruiters will be more helpful than others, but will be a good first source of info. You may need to call/ meet them in person to get useful info from them, rather than rely solely on email. Try to set up appointments before arriving for your visit. Also is his current company multinational? Have an office in HK? If he's relatively senior, does he have contacts in the region?? If so, use them to find out what's available in his field out here.

Like you I made a decision about wanting to move to HK and found it difficult to get information that was specific to my situation. However, I have done it and have been here 3 months now.

I would suggest that you both contact agencies before you arrive and see if you can arrange to meet people while you're here. I wouldn't leave it until you get here to try to make contacts - do as much prep work as you can.

The HK job market is quite tight at the moment and I know experienced people (in different fields) finding it difficult to find work.

You don't say whether you have children - this brings a different set of challenges! If you do, e-mail me direct and I'll give you an idea of what to expect.

If you're only coming for a week also do your research about where you think you might live. Hong Kong Property and Apartment, for Rent and for Sale - Hong Kong Realty have an extensive range of properties from low(ish) to high end all over Hong Kong. They also provide some information about the different areas and what they are like.

You can get private rentals much cheaper but at least this will give you an idea as to what's around.

When you're here feel free to contact me if you want any info.

Good luck.

Sue

Thank you both for your really helpful posts, they're much appreciated....am back on the case!

Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Might you leave the "help help help" for people who actually have urgent real enquiries? there are already numerous threads on here covering what you want - why not try the search function first? For example, start here http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread18046.html
    OK - so I got a heap of red blobs for my post above and have considered it carefully and thought I might respond to some of them. NO, I didn't get out of bed the wrong side - I actually DO think that titling something "help help help" when you are not even in HK and are just at the research stage is unfair on those of us who monitor this site for people who need help and often jump in really quickly (within minutes) of posts that seem to be really urgent and need something (such as, for example, the lost dogs threads and the "the police just knocked on my door" threads).

The response "search the site first" in its various guises in response to questions that have many many threads is also an extremely common response - I've certainly never red blobbed anyone who said that!

And I did try to be helpful in searching out (that took a couple of minutes, actually) the thread I thought most relevant that had a good deal of helpful information in it relevent to the OP's query.

So - in summary, Welcome to the forum Vickski. I'm glad you have found some useful info. I did not mean to put you off and apologise if that was the impression. But I still think that searching and using appropriate titles (ie to aid people know what it is you want to find out) would aid your future research and that you might want to consider these options too in future.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 19-04-2009 at 08:56 AM.

OK - so I got a heap of red blobs for my post above and have considered it carefully and thought I might respond to some of them.
    Let me say, I whole heartedly agree with you. "Urgent - help" "help help help" type posts rarely ever attract attention of the people who might be able to help if the title had been "teacher / engineer looking for moving tips".

Same thing goes for people who post classifieds with the title "sale / cheap"...