Commuting from Pokfulam (Bel Air/Baguio Villas)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Commuting from Pokfulam (Bel Air/Baguio Villas)

We (partner and I) are planning our move to Hong Kong. Having had a good look around and having traveled to Hong Kong many times, we like Pokfulam (esp. Baguio Villas and Bel-Air, possibly also around Bisney) a location given proximity to Central, open space/sea views, rent levels (especially in current market), etc.

One thing we are trying to get a better handle on is the daily commute. We are both working in Central and will be driving in most mornings. Based on our taxi ride experience, there seems to be great degree of variability in the travel time (between 10 mins and 35+ mins). Hence, the following questions:

1. What is the best route into Central? Pokfulam Road past the University and Belchers, then turn left down the hill and follow the highway?
    2. Any other route recommendations? Does it ever make sense to go through Aberdeen tunnel (I hear it gets jammed during morning rush hours)?
    3. What are the best times to go for the various routes (e.g., highway better during morning rush hour, Aberdeen better during the day?)?
    4. Are there certain times to be avoided for certain routes (e.g., don't bother taking tunnel between 8.30 and 9.30 or highway after 9.00 or similar recommendations)?

I know that similar questions have been asked before but as these things change over time would like to understand the current situation.
    Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Where in Central?

PDLM - You're stealing all my clever lines.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Where in Central?
    Sorry, should have mentioned that. Offices are around Lippo Center and Bank of America Tower. Taxis have been taking the exit toward Queensway/Cotton Tree drive from the highway, I think.

The Pokfulam Road - Highway route is probably the best.

However, the rush our traffic between Hopewell Center and past the core Central area is very unpredictable... best to leave 30 mins before or after rush hour begins.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The Pokfulam Road - Highway route is probably the best.

However, the rush our traffic between Hopewell Center and past the core Central area is very unpredictable... best to leave 30 mins before or after rush hour begins.
    Thanks for that. When is the "rush hour"? Oh, and isn't Hopewell Center in Wanchai?

Sorry, meant the Macau Ferry Terminal (was thinking about Stanley Ho's buildings as he owns both).

Before 8:30AM or after 9:15-9:30.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Sorry, meant the Macau Ferry Terminal (was thinking about Stanley Ho's buildings as he owns both).
    Eh? Sir Gordon Wu owns the Hopewell Centre doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Eh? Sir Gordon Wu owns the Hopewell Centre doesn't he?
    Yes, that's what I thought as well. But still (marginally) connected to the OP's question - best way during the day might very well be through Aberdeen tunnel and along Queen's Road East (past Hopewell Centre - there we go!). Forget it during rush hour, though...

PDLM - You're right. NO clue what gone wrong with my brains today..

I need beer and sleep.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast