Now TV compatibility

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Now TV compatibility

Hi-

We recently moved to HK and we also shipped our TV from the US. But now we are having some problems watching now-TV.

Our TV is a Sony Bravia with HD support, and we cannot think of any reason why we are not able to use now-TV (which supports HDMI) on this TV. It seems like the technicians from PCCW are suggesting that there is nothing they could do b/c it's is our TV that's the problem. Has anyone heard of or experienced this problem before?

Thank you so much for any suggestion/answers.

Is your TV multistandard? If it's an NTSC only model from the US, it probably wouldn't accept the PAL signal from the Now box, even if you were using HDMI.

If it's an HD TV with HDMI then the NTSC/PAL issue shouldn't apply. That is assuming you are subscribed to an HD service and are receiving and HD signal from now-TV. If you're receiving just their normal, low-definition signal then it could be that your TV's in-built tuner is geared only for North American signals (NTSC). I'm afraid I don't know much about the Sony Bravia.

Simple way to check if you have the Now HD service is the decoder from NOW should be different from the normal NOW decoder boxes.

Assuming you are subscribing to quiet a few channels, I very much doubt you have the HD Now which only has a few channels on HD.

You are then in the PAL/NTSC issue and I would be really, really surprised if your US TV is a multi-system TV unless you went to a specific store for it as it is just not the done thing in the US i.e. they only sell NTSC.

thank you all for the reply, and it is a lot more technical than we expected.

If you guys are correct, we should not have the NTSC/PAL problem becasue our NOW box is "Now HD", and we did subscribe to some HD channels as well. If this to be the case, it is reasonable to assume that it should not be our TV that's causing the issue?

Thanks again for all ur helps.

doggita

here is another simple check to do - is the TV dual voltage i.e. you can use 110v and 240v power. If it is then that is unique for a TV bought in the US.

Also, you should try it with a DVD player to make sure the TV is ok and not damaged in the shipping.

If all above ok, and it is FULL HD TV, then it should work.

I can't help you solve the mystrey but I suggest a really good shop in IFC called Avi life on the second floor near Dymocks. Ask for a guy called Herbert who speaks very good english and you could walk him through the issues you are facing.

Sorry can't help more.

...and some dick head decided to red dot me for this.

So smart ass...why don't you give the right advice instead of judging right and wrong grrrrr

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Hey take it easy, friend. Not worth the aggravation. Who gives a toss about dots on a site of this nature?

Thank you all for the useful suggestion. We will try and see which way solves the problem. Will report back as people may want to know the outcome in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga
    ...and some dick head decided to red dot me for this.

So smart ass...why don't you give the right advice instead of judging right and wrong grrrrr
    Ha. I've had my share of red dots. Nothing to get worked up over.

It is actually rather amusing that people get that upset on message boards to "red dot" me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast