Newbie Arriving in August 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yes, when I said ""One thing though is that it can be quite local so you need to take that into consideration" I meant the flavour of the area. No insult or judgment, just a description of the area meaning that it's not a cosmopolitan place like London.

There are some expats out there but not many. While a number of tourists do go to Aberdeen, you will have to work a bit harder to get yourself understood by the locals if you don't have much Chinese.

Mkatstar, considering that you've been living in Japan you'll be fine.

Wow, great feedback, so far. Thanks. What about Lanna Island? I see that it's pretty close to Ap Lei Chau. Does anyone have any input on living there?

Also, as far as shopping goes...I am on the tall side (5ft 10in or 175cm) and have largish feet (size 10 american). Will it be difficult for me to find shoes that fit and pants that aren't "high waters"?

I think you mean Lamma Island. While it's pretty close to Ap Lei Chau I would not recommend living there for someone who's new to Hong Kong. I expect you'd want to go around and explore Hong Kong and transportation to and from Lamma is by ferry, meaning a trip of about 30 mins each way. Their ferry service is also slightly limited in terms of timetable. So for convenience it's not the place to go. If however you wanted to get away from the hectic pace of Hong Kong to somewhere different, then you could consider Lamma.

So that would be a no for anyone new to HK wanting to explore the country.

Sorry can't answer your question about clothes and shoes. Don't know about that.

oops

I did mean Lamma Island. Thanks for your reply. I will set my sights on HK Island, then.

Quote Originally Posted by mkatstar
    Wow, great feedback, so far. Thanks. What about Lanna Island? I see that it's pretty close to Ap Lei Chau. Does anyone have any input on living there?

Also, as far as shopping goes...I am on the tall side (5ft 10in or 175cm) and have largish feet (size 10 american). Will it be difficult for me to find shoes that fit and pants that aren't "high waters"?

175 cm is not tall, Sir!! : )
    You wont have any trouble in finding pants or shoes.

Lamma is a nice option and you will find a decent flat for 5000 - 7000 HKD per month.
    BUT: Be aware that the Lamma - Aberdeen - Lamma ferry is not running too often and also not running until late. And a Sampan easily costs you 100 - 200 HKD - depending on your negotiation skills.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD
    175 cm is not tall, Sir!! : )
    er...the "m" in my username stands for Molly...guess i should have specified. 175cm is on the tall side for a female, and size 10 feet are on the large side.

Thanks for your Lamma Island info.

Yes - you will have difficulty with clothes and shoes. However, you can get clothes tailormade here quite cheaply (and even cheaper in Shenzhen). Shoes are problematic - stock up before you arrive!

Smile

I used to live in Aberdeen where is closed to ALC, so I'm pretty sure you will be OK. The place is Ok, traffic is convenience. I am not busy at this moment. If you need any help, we can talk about this through MSN "[email protected]".

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mtyuow
    I used to live in Aberdeen where is closed to ALC, so I'm pretty sure you will be OK. The place is Ok, traffic is convenience. I am not busy at this moment. If you need any help, we can talk about this through MSN "[email protected]".
    I will try to get in touch when I am at home. I can't use MSN at work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2