Work Permit Application -- Which way is faster?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by TS888
    Oh no, my friend wasn't working. But once he started, he did receive a rather large initial paycheck, almost like it was for two months. Some special custom in Hong Kong apparently...
    Ah yes. I had heard about that custom It's not legal of course, but OK from the employee's perspective if you're sure about the employer and the application. On the other hand the tactic is used by language schools to get two or three months free labour out of people for whom visas are not granted and the school then declines to pay anything (or pays less than agreed).

Singel Entry working visa?

Hi,

I have just received my working visa, however, I found the wording a bit strange, and hope you guys can help me out on this.

On the visa, it says "good for a single journey to Hong Kong..."

I am just wondering whether this is standard, as I was expecting a working visa is a multiple entry, otherwise, does that mean that if I want to travel home say during Christmas, I can't come back to work the next year??

Thanks guys in advance!

No - it is a multi-entry visa, but the wording is very poor. What it means is that your visa will be activated when you enter and it will then be a multi-entry visa; subsequently you can come and go as you wish.

Thanks PDLM, so do I need to change this visa to an temporary resident ID card (I heard my friend mentioned something called it the smart ID), so then I can have multiple entry? Or I don't need to do anything at all?

Your visa is automatically multi-entry. However, in addition you are required to apply for a HKID card within 30 days of entering HK using the visa (this should be explained in the letter that came with the visa). All HKID cards are now of the "smart" type (which means that you will be able to exit immigration through the automatic e-channels).

Details of the HKID card application are here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkid_o18.htm

Thanks PDLM. I didn't receive any accompanying letter with the visa, maybe my employer hasen't forwarded that to me yet.
    Also, as my company's headoffice is in China, I will need to travel to mainland frequently. I heard about this Home return visa, do you know whether once I applied this HKID card, I am eligible to apply for it? Or I need to separately apply for a working visa to enter mainland China?

Thanks agian.

No - only Chinese Citizens of Hong Kong can get these cards.

What you will need is a multi-entry business visa for China. Your employer should be able to assist you with that. Once you have your HKID card it is easy to get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2