which areas do expats usually reside?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

ummm... expats are not allowed gov't housing. you must be a PR to qualify... when a PR, you are no longer an expat... as your place of permanent residence is your "home"... or at least it is supposed to be.

There's plenty of housing that looks similar to public housing that isn't though which could house expats.

Apparently a good way to tell public housing is the flats will only have one wall to outside, so if you see a rectangle shaped apartment building with straight sides then it is probably public housing. If however it has jagged sides with 'innie-outie' bits it means it is not public housing.

public housing is available in many forms, usually the older ones are the straight-sided, and the newer ones are often a variation on the 'H' shape, as seen in the Housing Authority logo

Quote Originally Posted by smerchas:
    I'm with Discobay, it's asked a lot this one. If you want a more western lifestyle while living in hong kong and still want to be close to the nightlife, then soho, mid levels is the place to be, but it's expensive, depending on your budget. If you don't mind being in the heart of the true hong kong but still being close to everything, somewhere like prince edward and mong kok are great. I've lived in both areas. I'm from the uk and I personally prefer kowloon side as you have the best of everything. Nowhere is really far in hong kong, I'm still only 20 minutes from the nightlife but paying a third of the price of my old place in midlevels for exactly the same size.

If you are seriously thinking of somewhere. I'm leaving my flat at the end of July to move to the states....drop me a pm and I can give you more information. But, in the long run, depends what you want and where you work too..!!!
    What is wrong with Sheung Wan where I live near Hollywood and Po Yan and Fuk On Streets? It has a bus and a quick 10 min walk to Soho, LKF, etc and many taxis.

moving to NT soon

my partner and I are moving to NT probably Yeun long in the next 6 months. We are applying to teach English and already have a family member doing the same. After visiting yeun long in April this year we fell in love with the local culture and the yeun Long Park was so beautiful. I felt really at home in this town. Our daughter has lived here with her husband and her new family for 7 years. are there any other expats out there living in the area we can converse with?
    Look forward to making cont

We lived right by Yuen Long Park on Ma Tin road, for a couple of years.

If you need any info about the area you can message me.

Relocation

I have sent you a private message.

Last edited by Doris Yeung; 23-10-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Meant to send her a private message.

OK - here are my details

Guys, thanks for your helpful posts.

I see expats are in HK all over and I am soon gonna join the party. I need your help in deciding the 3-4 areas I should be narrowing down my home search once I am there in the new year.

I am in Indian, married, no kids, would be working in Central.
    Like place near office, say, max 25min from living room to office,

Great if there are Indians around (my wife has just left job to come along with me, so she "might feel better" to have Indians around, and hence less homesick)

Budget - 8k max. one bhk, around 400-500ft size is good. I am fine with old/new buildings as long as they are clean, not smelling.

I saw Causeway Bay and Wan chai , I am getting some flats of my choice, but was looking at less crampy places (i hope not too demanding)

wan chai, mid levels, sai kung, whats ur budget?

Quote Originally Posted by sheridans:
    Budget - 8k max.
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonglover:
    wan chai, mid levels, sai kung, whats ur budget?
    I think you missed a bit.