First-Timer Questions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Oh, and we're both caucasian (from Canada) so apparently the Visa runs might be easier, eh? That's good to know (if not sort of weird).

The ultimate goal here is for him and I to be together as much as we can over the next two years while doing everything legally. If he is able to work, that is great. If not, I'll be able to support us both on my income.

he can only get a working holiday visa if he is from Australia, New Zealand or Ireland, i believe.

there is nothing inherently illegal about going to macau to get another 3 months. what IS illegal is looking for work while he is here or undertaking ANY employment (INCLUDING volunteer work!) paid or unpaid. hk is an expensive city to live in, so immigration becomes suspicious if someone is here for extended periods of time on a tourist visa. they assume the person is working illegally.

He cannot legally reside here without a visa. Unless he has a home for his use elsewhere (which he resides in regularly) then ImmD would quite reasonably say that he is residing here, and hence illegal, regardless of how often he goes in and out.

The simple answer is to get married - very easy and cheap to do here. Then he can have a Dependant Visa and can work freely.

Is it actually illegal to search for work, or just to actually work without a visa? I've been actively approached in the past by HK recruitment agencies saying their clients want people like me to come and work in HK, and know lots of people who've arrived as a tourist, and after some networking been offered a role with a sponsored visa. If this is illegal, why are they not cracking down on these recruitment agencies?

Well, we've been discussing marriage... it wasn't exactly in the cards for us anytime soon but if that would guarantee his stay and allow him to work, that might be the way to go.

But before we run to the alter, we were wondering if tourist/visit visas expire after a year and if people are typically able to get an extension. We know he wouldn't be able to work if he had that visa.

well I know that with a British passport you can be here for 6 months on a tourist visa which makes the 'visa run' easier, I thought it was 3 months for Canadians and USA folk?

I've read on Geoexpat about a gay couple who were legally married elsewhere but because HK doesn't recognise same sex marriages they only offered the extension instead of the Dependents visa, but I don't know if they would do that for just long term partners.

Easiest way is to get married really.

It really is not a great reason to get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    It really is not a great reason to get married.
    No, but if you are committed enough as a couple to move across the world together and live together and if it is really a question of when not if then it is a very good reason to pull it forward.

If you love each other and it means you can stay together and have an experience abroad which signing a piece of paper allows then I don't see the problem. It literally is just signing a piece of paper.

And if he's not committed enough to get married as a way to stay with you, there's a good possibility he'll stray.

Speaking as a (normal, pig of a) man, temptation is everywhere here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast