Mumbai Vs Hong Kong - Cost of living

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

thanks @ limepickle

Quote Originally Posted by busybee:
    Part time Indian maids charge HKD 50-60 per hour and if they are living here illegally then they are likely to be exploited like the rest.
    That's about what all part-time maids charge. I don't know about Indian ones, but the Filipinas who are bending the rules (living out and working multiple part-times) are not in the least bit exploited - they have control of their lives, except for the racist laws regarding the employment of FDHs and the risk that they could be caught and kicked out. But clearly that risk is not very high since so many of them do, and in many cases have been doing it for a decade or more.

deleted post, sorry!

Last edited by carang; 12-06-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sairam:
    Hi,

Am currently working in Mumbai,India earning Rs 35 lacs p.a.I have received a job offer to move to Hong Kong and been offered a salary of HKD 1 million p.a .Am not sure if this is on the higher side or not.What would be the equivalent of this salary as per Mumbai terms considering the cost of living etc,?? while i know the currency conversion rate as Rs 6/7 to 1 Hong kong dollar,but someone told me that earning Hong kong dollar 1 million in hong kong is equivalent to earning Rs 10 lacs in Mumbai ( considering the cost of living).If that is the case,then i would not be interested to give up my current job and relocate to Hong kong.My family consists of myself ,my wife and our daughter aged 2 yrs.
    Can someone pls help me with this.

Easy.
    Tell me what kind of job this is. If it suits my experience, I'll take it. Then you can stay in Mumbai and don't need to go through the stress of thinking about what to do with all that money.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    the Filipinas who are bending the rules (living out and working multiple part-times) are not in the least bit exploited - they have control of their lives, except for the racist laws regarding the employment of FDHs and the risk that they could be caught and kicked out.
    So define "exploitation".

I am not talking about maids here, but about the definition of exploitation: If someone earns peanuts (while producing something very valuable) because the law allows the employer to pay peanuts, they are not exploited because they have the right to resign and starve to death?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4